Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'82 380 SL, '82 300TD, '85 500SEC
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum for awile...having too much fun enjoying my wife's love of her '82 380sl. We tried to take the hardtop off yesterday...as spring and summer are just around the corner here.

Unfortunately, the main catch at the middle rear of the top's lower rail wouldn't let go...despite attempts to put the hand lever in the correct position.

Just to be clear...the male part of the hardtop's center latch, even though raised along with the top, would not release from the female part of the latch. We tried to move the top horizontally forward and backward, but to no avail. The release handle was "unlatched" and would even release the body's hardtop cover panel, but would not release the hardtop itself.

Any next steps you could suggest??? Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,306 Posts
You know it's the chrome inner handle that releases the pin latch? Push it down clockwise. If that doesn't release the catch, maybe its cable is stretched or broken...
I think there is a thread here that deals with a stuck latch. The basic idea is to prop up the rear of the top with thin wood slats and get down beside the pin with something to push the latch over to the passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
'82 380 SL, '82 300TD, '85 500SEC
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I remember now...I even previously made a special latch un-sticking tool. Now...where did I leave it? The latch movement (side to side) is so well concealed until the top is off...but if the top was off, I wouldn't be writing this.

Anyway, dugald, thanks for the feedback...now I'm on the right track. Dave

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,223 Posts
daveward said:
Yes, I remember now...I even previously made a special latch un-sticking tool. Now...where did I leave it? Dave
If it was me, I would have put it in the soft top boot for safekeeping.

Yikes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts