Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking into buying a 2003 clk 320 convertible with about 90k miles.
The only thing wrong is that the car has a salvaged title from 2006. the current owner is not the one who was in the accident and has had the car for about 5 years. He is asking $5k for it. I am just turned off about the title not being clean.
My plan was to purchase the car enjoy it for about 2 years and try to sell it. Do you guys think its a good buy? or does the salvaged title destroy the deal?
any feedback will be appriciated

·
Registered
06 SLK55 AMG 99 CLK320 97 BMW 540I
132 Posts
Surprisingly the main issue with salvage as long as it drives fine (I think it probably does -- PO had it for 5 yrs) is the paint. Engine parts can be replaced, and realistically a car with a bad overheat history can be a significantly worse bet. I have owned and ran salvage title cars that nobody would ever think are salvaged and I've bought clean title cars that had loads of problems. There are plenty of great salvage title cars, however the body shops that repaint often don't do as good a job as the manufacturer (Mercedes in this case). Hopefully the shop did a good shop color matching and used a high quality paint and painting process (sanding, multiple coats etc.). Also the clear coat on poor quality paint work can peel a bit early. If you can find out who did the work, that helps because you can look up reviews about the shop and even call and find out what kind of work they do. Also of course make sure all doors seal well. Open/close each door several times from inside and outside.

Anyway, drive it and see, check out paint work. At 5K its gonna be tough to find a cheaper car with lower miles. Just make sure you can afford the 1K+ in maintenance associated with an aging german luxury vehicle. Many used lgerman luxury cars come with at least 2K of "impending" maintenance even if it drives well, so know what you are getting into

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, the deal is dead i went to see the car today and the car paint was just terrible, the body had alot of dents and rust. so i just walked away, i found another deal today though which i believe will be alot better. 1999 320 clk for 4500 with 85k miles.

·
Registered
06 SLK55 AMG 99 CLK320 97 BMW 540I
132 Posts
Not surprised, like I said it's the paint with the salvaged cars. Some people fix them cheaply, others use quality materials & labor. Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts