Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a rebuilt power steering pump from Pelican. Their system confirmed it would fit my '79 California-spec 450SL. The first issue I noticed was the center post/spring for the fluid cap was different, and sat to low in the bowl to get full thread engagement on the wing-nut up top. I figured I could live with that. The bigger issue I've now discovered is that the lower mounting tab that the star-adjustment bolt goes through is thicker than the original, and as a result the adjustment bolt thread don't stick out the front so that I can get the nut/washer on it.

Anyone experience this? Did I get the wrong pump, or am I expected to find some compatible cap and longer star-adjustment bolt? Are there such things? Or did they just send me the wrong part?

Original pump ID plate.

Part # on new pump.

IMG_6185.jpg

Tab/flange for adjustment bolt is about 15mm thick on original pump -- see mark on measuring rod.

IMG_6189.jpg

New tab/flange for adjustment bolt is nearly twice as thick.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,291 Posts
It looks like the pump fits, however to make it work your probably need new hardware due to design change. My 79 450 SL has the same pump as you did.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,668 Posts
According to EPC the pump you removed was not used with an M117 engine. It is for these engines.

The pump they sent you appears to be the correct pump. It looks like it fits so best purchase a new bolt and cover if they are available.

Cap P/N A000 466 76 05
Bolts not sure which one
A1169900033 square head
A1174600172 hex head

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pump on the car is as original as it gets, so I called a dealer and had them look up the number on my original pump. They were able to verify that my pump supersedes to a series of pumps ending with the one Pelican sold me. So, I ordered a new adjusting bolt, hoping it's longer. If not, I'll need to make a longer one myself, somehow... Thanks for the input and help!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
According to EPC the pump you removed was not used with an M117 engine. It is for these engines.

View attachment 2651211
I've the same pump in my 450SL, and I've seen EPC being incorrect before with some other parts... Very un-German but MB might not have maintained the data 100% correct 🤣

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you say that. When the dealer gave me the superseded number, I asked if that was the part number that came with the car and he said yes. So I gave him the part number that was actually on the car, and it took him a while because it superseded to another pump, which superseded to another, etc. until it finally superseded to the part Pelican and the dealer claim came with the car. I'm guessing somewhere deep in the MBZ literature there is a bulletin that says you need a new cap and longer adjustment bolt when upgrading to the superseding part. I'm just happy to know this pump is hydraulically compatible, so will just work on finding/making a longer adjustment bolt. :)

p.s., Mercedes Classic just wrote back and only said that 116 240 13 80, which Pelican sent me, is "correct" but NLA from Mercedes. Honestly, the classics center so far as yet to have any part that the normal dealers don't have. Makes me wonder what they do have...

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Funny you say that. When the dealer gave me the superseded number, I asked if that was the part number that came with the car and he said yes. So I gave him the part number that was actually on the car, and it took him a while because it superseded to another pump, which superseded to another, etc. until it finally superseded to the part Pelican and the dealer claim came with the car. I'm guessing somewhere deep in the MBZ literature there is a bulletin that says you need a new cap and longer adjustment bolt when upgrading to the superseding part. I'm just happy to know this pump is hydraulically compatible, so will just work on finding/making a longer adjustment bolt. :)

p.s., Mercedes Classic just wrote back and only said that 116 240 13 80, which Pelican sent me, is "correct" but NLA from Mercedes. Honestly, the classics center so far as yet to have any part that the normal dealers don't have. Makes me wonder what they do have...
I thought Pelican parts sent you 126 460 13 80. Which may be NLA from Mercedes but should be available all over the place from re-builders. The older free version of EPC used to give me the superseded part number notes. The notes would tell you things like need to replace bolt with PN #####. The new version sucks. I would hope the dealers and the Classic center still have that information.

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
I've the same pump in my 450SL, and I've seen EPC being incorrect before with some other parts... Very un-German but MB might not have maintained the data 100% correct 🤣
Iv'e seen it wrong as well on more than 1 occasion. And the 107 wiring diagrams, "Do you feel lucky"

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry if I was confusing there. Yes, Pelican sent me a rebuilt pump with part number 126 460 13 80, which I now plan to use since Mercedes says it works on my car. When I said it was NLA, I meant that Mercedes no longer sells it. Plenty of after market suppliers sell a rebuilt version of it though, like Pelican. I'll try my hand at extending the adjuster bolt in the morning... Fingers crossed...

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Sorry if I was confusing there. Yes, Pelican sent me a rebuilt pump with part number 126 460 13 80, which I now plan to use since Mercedes says it works on my car. When I said it was NLA, I meant that Mercedes no longer sells it. Plenty of after market suppliers sell a rebuilt version of it though, like Pelican. I'll try my hand at extending the adjuster bolt in the morning... Fingers crossed...
If you get stuck with the bolt measure the one you have and maybe I can compare it to something on my 560SL parts car.

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! The factory part I have for the original (now superseded) pump is about 30mm long, or say 32mm if you count the star-gear. I figure 40mm would be about right....

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Thanks! The factory part I have for the original (now superseded) pump is about 30mm long, or say 32mm if you count the star-gear. I figure 40mm would be about right....
Sorry I cant help you. the air pump star bolt on the 560 is also 30mm long, probably the same bolt you have. I also have an alternator bolt but its about 75mm long, its also 10mm diameter, I believe you need an 8mm.

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks roncallo. That doesn't give me much hope for the adjuster bolt the dealer ordered, but we shall see. In the meantime, here's my DIY solution for it that should work fine. I made it 45mm, but 40mm would have been long enough. I just didn't want to go to all the trouble and not make it long enough! Only surprise was to discover the star gear piece has some kind of glue or sealant holding it in place. Had to weld very carefully/slowly to avoid burning that out....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hack of the week award goes to you Tom, fair play :) Knowing MB prices this bolt would probably cost $40 :D

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, that bolt stretcher really comes in handy in a pinch. My local dealer is ordering the bolt shown in the MBZ parts system for the car. It was a little over $20 I think he said. I was hoping it would be longer, but will take it either way. I am becoming quite tempted to keep, reseal and repaint the original pump to keep the car as original as possible. If I do, I'll need another short bolt. The black paint and ID plate just make the original pump feel more vintage and appropriate for the engine bay. :) But assuming the new one works, it may take some time to get back to that. Plenty of bigger fish on this car...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Absolutely, under no circumstances don't throw away the pump - you can always get it rebuilt, but you may not be able to find a working one. I know what you mean about keeping the engine bay "factory" 1979 Mercedes 450SL :)

·
Premium Member
1979 450SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Awesome work! I'll take it. :) What did you use on the body of the pump and the pulley? I had the pulley off to switch over to the new pump and thought about powder coating or painting it, but the original finish was pretty darn good so wanted to preserve as much of the original feel as possible (complete with yellow dot). Is your car a CA-spec car by any chance? With so many variations of things over the years, it's nice to know folks with original cars of the same year/spec. That pump is a dead ringer for the one that came off my car. I wouldn't throw mine away, but I'd get my $175 core charge back if I turned it in. Your restored pump convinced me to keep it though. :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thanks Tom! I used POR15 enamel on the body and POR15 in spray for the pulley - preserving the shape of the yellow dot was tricky and I'm lucky my pumpr works just fine, no leaks etc so I didn't strip it apart. My old lady is Euro spec so no unnecessary smog installations or other complications. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts