Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 1990, i need to replace the cylinders that latch and unlock the top compartment cover. both are leaking. mercedes has redesigned these ones and the new style do not fit in the older latchs. does anyone know of a place i can send my old style cylinders to be rebuilt?

·
Registered
69 Posts
From what I have seen you can buy the cylinders for $130. If not I say take one apart and go to a place like this.

http://www.oringsusa.com/

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/ors.cfm?origin=GG

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my local dealer sells them for 150 a piece. they look the same, part numbers are different. they made the rod that pushs out thicker. and sense its thicker it does not screw into the older design latch assembly.

how does it come apart?

·
Registered
1992 500SL
14 Posts
My top winshield hydaulics blew out yesterday, with the resulting oil leaking all over the dash and console - I'd sure like the info on the place to buy the cylinders at $114 each!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz 500 SL Convertable Coupe
35 Posts
wildeyeguy said:
My top winshield hydaulics blew out yesterday, with the resulting oil leaking all over the dash and console - I'd sure like the info on the place to buy the cylinders at $114 each!

Thanks!
Thanks, I am gonna try th r ebuilts by DennisB]

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
90-500SL said:
on my 1990, i need to replace the cylinders that latch and unlock the top compartment cover. both are leaking. mercedes has redesigned these ones and the new style do not fit in the older latchs. does anyone know of a place i can send my old style cylinders to be rebuilt?
wildeyeguy,
For the DIY 'how-to's', follow the link below...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/R129TopRelease

For the best, and only rebuilder that I know of and have used successfully, contact

Mercedes Cylinder Rebuilder:

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

[email protected]
(913) 390-0506

·
Registered
745 Posts
Snowbilt,

Sure did...and it was easier than I ever thought it would be. Having the pix and steps nails it. Mine have been in for a month or two with the top up and down frequently and it operates as smoothly as it should with NO LEAKS!!

Bob

·
Registered
745 Posts
snowbilt said:
Sunguy,
Did you change your cylinders out yourself? I knew after I posted the fix you said you was going to try.
Chris,

Mea Culpa...I forgot to thank you once again for doing the original work on these cylinder replacements, unselfishly documenting and photographing each of the steps to make this seemingly complex task simple...even for the mechanically challenged like me!

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guy's this has to be the best deal in rebuilding those lealy cylinders. $30.00 a pop!! Plus $10.00 for shipping. He also told me he won't cash my check until after I've installed the rebuilts and they work!!!! What more can you ask for!
Beats paying $114.00 or more for new ones that may or may not fit.

Here is his info: he used to own a 91 so he knows what we are going through.

Mercedes Cylinder Rebuilder: :bowdown:

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

[email protected]
(913) 390-0506

·
Registered
1995 SL500
21 Posts
I had the same problem with my 95 sl500. My mechanic drilled some holes in the new ones to get them to fit. It saved me a couple hundred dollars . You would have to change lost of parts to get the new ones to fit out of the box. Find someone other than the dealer to do it, and if they are good they can get the ones to fit your car. I use a place here in Raleigh called European Performance. Maybe you can even call them and ask them what they did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guy's this has to be the best deal in rebuilding those lealy cylinders. $30.00 a pop!! Plus $10.00 for shipping. He also told me he won't cash my check until after I've installed the rebuilts and they work!!!! What more can you ask for!
Beats paying $114.00 or more for new ones that may or may not fit.

Here is his info: he used to own a 91 so he knows what we are going through.

Mercedes Cylinder Rebuilder:

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

[email protected]
(913) 390-0506

·
Registered
24 Posts
Flamenco2005 is right - I will rebuild any of the cylinders in your mercedes convertible for $30 each + $10 total shipping charges. I can usually have the cylinders back in the mail to you the following business day.

If you pay with a personal check, I do not cash it until I hear back from you that your leaks are fixed! On top of that, I will warranty the seal I replace for 3 years.

I highly recommend having your cylinders repaired in pairs. MB used the same seal material for all 12 of the cylinders in the r129 top mechanism. Be sure to check all of the cylinders for leaks-one that is starting to drip will surely blow out soon.

I can also repair the cylinders in a 124 chassis Mercedes for the same cost.

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

(913) 390-0506

[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
sl-500
153 Posts
Repair leaking cylinders

Dennis,

You are 1 in a million, it's people like you that keep us R129 users from ditching the car, because of expensive mercedes garages bills, wanting huge amounts of money..

Keep up the service, by the way can you ship these cylinders to the UK ~ if my cylinders start leaking ??

Bawbag

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bawbag,

I appreciate the compliment! When I got my '91 R129, every cylinder was leaking and my stealer wanted nearly $5k for parts so I started rebuilding the cylinders instead of junking the car. I know I don't charge what I could get for doing this service, but if I can keep someone from getting ripped off by MB, it's well worth it.

As far as shipping to the UK, I don't have any problem with that. In fact, I had a guy from Hong Kong contact me last week wanting all 12 cylinders repaired. All I require is that you pay the actual shipping cost to send them back to you.

I will also repair cylinders sent by Mercedes repair shops for the same cost, so don't be afraid to let your mechanic know about much money I can save them (you!!). One of our local shops is having me rebuild the cylinders they replace and then put them on the shelf to be kept in inventory.

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062

(913) 390-0506

[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
560SEL and 500SL.
1 Posts
1992 (R 129) 500SL convertible top hydraulic issues

I had my mechanic take out all 12 cylinders and send them to Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062
(913) 390-0506
[email protected]

All cylinders were expertly repaired/rebuilt by Dennis; have not given me a moments trouble since. If you lose this post; he advertises now on eBay.
Kudo's to Dennis.

Peter
1992 500SL
1976 450SLC
2001 S430

·
Registered
2000SL 500 Designo Edition
93 Posts
I also can attest to Denis being a great and honest business person. He rebuilt my cyls that are located in the A pillar that were leaking with super fast turn around time and awesome workmanship.

Do NOT hesitate to give him your business!!!

Best regards , Polpower

1 - 20 of 21 Posts