Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center armrest mechanism on my 1988 560SL is very floppy. I assume that when it was new it would stay in the upright position until moved to the lowered position. Currently, if I have it up and hit a bump, it drops to the lowered position. Something is obviously loose or worn or both.

I'm recovering my seats, so I figure this would be the right time to dig into it a little bit. I didn't see any how-to's on Encyclopedia Germanica, but I figure I'm not the first person to run into this.

Tips? Tricks? Replacement parts list?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
144 Posts
Bob

I have a RHD car, which I fitted with the armrest many years ago. I experienced similar problems. It may be as simple as removing the plastic cover plug on the end of the metal post the armrest swings on and tightening up the nut inside the sleeve. Use some locktite if that is your problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,880 Posts
Bob

I have a RHD car, which I fitted with the armrest many years ago. I experienced similar problems. It may be as simple as removing the plastic cover plug on the end of the metal post the armrest swings on and tightening up the nut inside the sleeve. Use some locktite if that is your problem. Good luck.
On the 88 the nut is actually a screw on a split nut. Where the screw is used to jamb the nut. Loosen up the screw using an 8mm socket. The the nut can be turned using a long nose pliers to adjust the tension until the drag is just right. Then tighten the screw to lock the nut in place. No need for Locktite in this style nut. Also if you are recovering see the last picture a sheet of bounce helps the cover side on.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 560SL, 08 Dodge Challenger, 59 Buick Electra coup, 83 chrysler Imperial
30 Posts
I want removing the driver seat armrest (center) in my 86SL.

Since the armrest in my 86SL is not in horizontal (lowered position) and when in upright position its leaning to the left ...It seems that the previous owner was too heavy ...I think that the Bracket is bend, so I want to fix it and straightness it to normal level..But how I can do that?
I would be grateful for any help..

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,654 Posts
Carefully remove the plastic/chromed cover. You will see two large phillips head screws. IIRC they are loc-tited in. Difficult to remove without an impact driver. Hand or power. The bracket for the arm rest fits between the seat back and the hinge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks rowdie... I'll try it next weekend... hopefully can be fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rebuilding an armrest.

I just want to add a picture for my armrest and how its look like.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts