Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have read any of my bloggs you will know i have been hunting for a while now the elusive VITO and it seems i am closing in on it i will try again to post some full size pics but if i am unable to would some of you vito owners out there tell me why i should buy a vito i know there are plenty of reasons not too being a regular reader to this forum its enough to make a grown man cry!! i just want to make sure that there are some happy vito owners out there !!!as the time to put up or shut for me at least approaches i would appreciate some good thoughts as odd ball said" no negative waves " i really want a vito why i dont know i like the look of them i heard there quite a good drive for a van and i want something different from the relays and ducato's and transits i have had befor so with all that said and done i would appreciate some kind words about our favourite van of choice cheers C16919007_6.jpg

C16919007_7.jpg

C16919007_7(1).jpg

C16919007_8.jpg

C16919007_9.jpg

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
The only problem I had with my old one was the rust. The new one runs like a treat.

All vehicles have problems. Look at the T4 or T5 forums for comparison. Basically if people have no problems they'll never post on an internet forum.

I loved driving my old van and it still gives me a buzz setting off on a long weekend camping/surfing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a o8 115 and have had no probs so far.:DMy old 04 119 had a cutting out issue that never got fixed,BUT this turbo diesels a great van.I use it for courier work during day,and also doubles as my second family car .So gets a work out and never misses a beat.I love it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

your right these forums are like a concentrated dose of problems and people really only ever blog for info or problem solving which is a great thing !I really like this vito i am viewing at the weekend it all seems genuine lots of info ,abs ,asr,esp,srs,edc, thats a lot of stuff and its a van it has five seats all detachable,air con,webasto,two sets of wheels summer and winter no real rust to speak of and the owners professes to have had all the fluids checked changed adjusted, his words were you will not need to spend a penny the proof is in the pudding and the underlining fact is if i have ANY doubts i will walk away!Just a little worried about investing a large sum of money in a van thats main job will be to ferry me an me bikes across europe and and back i dont really have to use it everyday so the mileage should work itself out as normal servicing here is cheap and i have a mechanic with all the merc diagostic bits and bobs and will becoming acquainted but hopefully wont be seeing him that often all in all the vito has the ability to be the van i fall in love with but i hope she reciprocates thanks again for the input

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,478 Posts
Reason to buy a Vito.

..because they're (638) the best looking van for years ...and still are...simples..:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
positive Vito comments are all i have. I read this forum all the time to see what people are experiencing ( and me trying to gain as much knowledge as poss for when the black death arrives lol) but i have to say my Vito has been great to me. I bought a 03 112cdi on 118k a year and a half ago for £2200, it was previously owned by London Underground and then another private owner before me, it came with no service history but as it was cheap and looked good enough i took the risk. I have to say this van has been great, it has a few rust spots, the tailgate central locking switch plays up sometimes and i i had to change the thermostat thats about it. It doesnt burn oil (now showing 129k) is great on fuel, is great for working with in the week and camping at weekends. I would recommend them to anyone........even though i would love a vw t5 sportline as im a vw nut, i cant afford one and for me this van ticks all the boxes for its price range. Go find a good one and enjoy:thumbsup:

jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check list

i got me a list befor i buy i have to see it started form cold !check all the dash lights work,then subsequently go off ensure all the lights work, air con ,webasto,run the fan till all come outs hot try and keep my nose ready for the smell of burning oil black death!!check for and undue smoke whilst the van is running (exhaust),have a look underneath for excessive rust or oil test drive never driven one befor so got to be ruthless and forget how excited i am !!!full lock for drive shaft bearings,humming for wheel bearings,and side to side for anti roll bar bushes!if there are no such noises by then i should check for smells,though it could be me in my excitement if all is going well at this point !!..fiddle with the wires running between the doors make sure all is still working and connected doors open and close properly oil and water levels ,check the suspension does'nt drop befor and after we have stopped check the heights and wait central locking make sure all locks I want to be thorough if i have any doubts or he wont barter i walk away unhappy but knowing there will always be another one on another day Any thing else please add it thanks everyone

·
Registered
1999 108CDI
371 Posts
You certainly have all the bases covered- if you stay objective when checking it out, you won't go wrong. I'm with gixxerpat on the 638-I have yet to see a better looking van. (Also got a gixxer:))

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI
147 Posts
RUST!!!

Bloody sick of sanding and re-spraying all the time...other than that I love the thing although it does seem to have a mind of its own a lot of time and I get weird probs - central locking is a current issue!

I'd steer clear of the 108D (my old one blew up!) models and go for the CDI (common rail) engines - 112CDI being the best - heaps of power/torque and more 'meaty' than a T4.

FUZZ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers

i have to agree even though i have also been looking at other makes the vito is drawing me towards her !!I am worries about the rust and as with all my motorisd posessions i will taking a preventative course rather than waiting for it to attack ..i have had a cr 250 from new 2000 and it is mint flies and it has been used done weston on a couple of times too got a te 510 husky o5 and that looks like it just been bought new same with my old citroen 12 year old and flying but as its a r/h/d it had to go s with buffer wheels and polish set to attack, a warm garage laying in wait and a healthy supply of wd40 in will try to do things befor they break wish i could get a manual though i an get one on amazon for 60 u.s so i may invest i have though learnt a lot just from this site and have attentively read as much as poss..i am also thiking of buying my mates old gsxr 750 oldie but a goodie so if all being well fun time around the corner.....thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi jimmyjames yes it the first of the oilcooled and it has been looked after with a few refinements if its cheap enough and he still wants to sell it i shall have it next time in the uk i will find out !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts