Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

W163 and General M Gremlin
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why we all keep (and hopefully maintain...) our older MB rides.

I keep getting comments from a few, "why don't you get yourself an e-car or something newer.."

same ones who expect me to "can you please check my car for me, I think..."
because Ima car kinda fella.... wtf?

Font Advertising Multimedia Brand Gadget

Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
I hope the Japanese and Koreans destroy the Germans and their stupid option games to mimic a car into behaving like a smartphone.

Put everything in it as standard and make each vehicle equally equipped. It doesn't really cost that much more vs. tailor made BS like this that results in poverty spec editions.

What's next? A driver side windshield wiper that works but the passenger side doesn't because it's not on a "plan"???

Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550 2013 Mercedes E63 AMG
For everyone that is irritated over this strategy, there are 100 people willing to buy the option.

Making money is their sole purpose. It is not 1986 anymore.

As these cars age, my guess is that the service will be enabled at no cost for a one-time fee.

Premium Member
'99 S420 124K
Ya'll DO understand "they" can turn off your vehicles remotely, right?

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+2 @LogicalPosition
Yep, had it happen to a neighbor on his Tesla.

As for the other paywall dilemas, there are hacks now available to bypass this stuff.
Not condoning it. Just the other side of the reality.

Registered
Who wants to pay 50K+ (average price for a modern "premium" German car) that is stuck in "trial mode" like a freeware smartphone app?

IF I have a car that I pay for, and have it titled in my name, be owned 100% in my name then I expect it to function 100% as well. In other words, if I paid for it then I own it and am free to do with it whatever I want without someone trying to peddle another dollar out of me.

Pretty sure it is only a matter of time before some class action lawsuits are going to put a stop to this before too long. They may get away with this BS in Europe like they have for over 1/2 century with their "option lists", but America is a whole different ballgame. Too many hungry ambulance chasers a.k.a. scum sucking lawyers.

If this is the future, then I want none of it. Might as well start popping up ads randomly, YouTube style, while listening to your own music that you already paid for while driving one of these modern smartphones on wheels.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's the consumers view and then there is the Dstealer's view.

MB roadside assistance (MBRA) call:

MBRA: Hello Ms. Fields, How may I assist you?

Ms Fields: Hi, I just got a slight flat and I'm at the gas station trying to pump air into the tire. It's not working and the attendant here tried but no go.

MBRA: One moment Ms. Fields.... We can assist you. We'll just need to activate the tire valves on your system. We can do that remotely here, for you. I see here it's the left front tire. How would you like to pay for this access charge? Monthly access or a flat rate fee for the year?

Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550 2013 Mercedes E63 AMG
There will be no class action suits because there is no infraction of law. The original consumer makes a choice and that is a legal binding contract.

For those of you who graduated from The University of Waxed Bar Stool, I suggest that you review your basic course. If there WAS a class action suit, what would the legal theory be other than you don't like it?

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
example:
Tesla was smart. Tesla is not legally defined as under some of the same umbrella laws as the other 'conventional auto manufacturers'.
Want to DIY fix your own Tesla and pickup their new parts from Tesla? Not going to happen, as a consumer.

Salvage parts or a written off Tesla?
No problem stripping them for yourself.

Tesla has no obligation to sell to the avg consumer and that's how they set it up.
Control is from end-to-end.

btw, strip down a Tesla and look closely at it's components. You'll recognized many of them (if you know your MBs)

And the training cost that a technician in a proper qualified bodyshop has to go thru, to patch up an 'egg'?
(another discussion perhaps).

Registered
^Exactly. Tesla basically took a chapter out of Apple's book, and technically Tesla is not defined as a true vehicle manufacturer since they bypass all the laws re. the traditional dealer network.

It's not going to take a long time before BMW USA gets tangled up in a class action lawsuit because its newly subscription based adaptive headlights get construed as a safety related problem.

That's one of the huge benefits for living in the USA. You got too many dogs (lawyers) chasing the same bone.

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll mention it as a taster sampler - since some the 'rookies' on this forum offer their 'wishful thinking' theories in business' they know nothing about.
There are already rumblings of legal, and contracts, regardless, can be declared void when one is forced knowingly or unknowingly to give up their rights.
Just because a contract has been drafted (by a lawyer) and implemented doesn't mean it's ironclad.
A simple example - Stormy and Trump
There are other better examples.

Another time perhaps, in the OT, if the participants wish to join a few of us in that lounge.

Back to the topic title of this thread.

Reactions: Tracodacus

Premium Member
'99 S420 124K
And when discussing parts availability anyone notice the mysterious unavailability? Reasonable?

I distinctly recall the threat, "I intend to remove millions of ICE vehicles from the roads!" There IS an agenda, and moving forward expect vehicles to be turned off remotely.

As a lifetime paid member,, I am banned from OT forums for posting inconvenient FACTS challenging certain protected members and mods, FWIW.

Premium Member
'99 S420 124K
Again, for the third time, what legal theory is being referenced?
I'm not a lawyer, but I have seen them on TV, so I know a lot about legal precedent.
As to how this all pertains to automobiles, I recall many if not most of the litigious issues brought up in the auto industry for the past 70 years, and I'd say if there is no basis for action, someone WILL find a basis.

Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
I see enough similarities in the John Deere Right to Repair class action suits to predict a similar legal theory. The operation of the vehicle is impaired by a service function that the consumer cannot supply but for the subscription. I am sure there is a federal court that will sympatize with that at least at the trial court level.

Registered
1989 300SE 247k+ miles
The lawsuit will be that the manufacturers did not have to install the software for these features to function. There are heated seats and steering wheels that do not require any software. By installing these features with a required subscription instead of as stand alone features, they reduce the resale value of the vehicle. As the value of those heated seats do not convey to the purchaser. Their value conveys to the manufacturer. And the buyer will take these costs into account when negotiating.

Also, what happens when people start hacking the car's systems to access these features? Do automobile manufacturers really want that? And do they think hackers are going to limit themselves to heated steering wheels?

...Did anyone see where GM is making a 3 year subscription to OnStar a requirement of purchase for some cars? And tacking it on top of the sales price (though they say they're not)?

...And @LogicalPosition questions why I spend the time and money on my MB 馃槀馃槀馃槀

1 - 20 of 30 Posts