Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

First problem with my 96 S280.

I noticed over the past few days that the oil pressure sometimes drops to around 2 bar on idle (not always) but its always a solid 3 bar the rest of the time. Oil consumption is about 1L every 4k miles. This morning when leaving work (engine cold) I noticed some blue smoke blowing out behind me as I accelerated hard on to the freeway (I guess oil burning off on the exhaust).

Ive got the car up on stands just now, whipped off the front undertray and she is pretty wet all over the underneath...... I cant see crap in there! The oil is doing a pretty good job of covering everything down there, so although its not a massive leak at the moment its not exactly a small one either......

Whilst I appreciate its not necessarily a problem that can be diagnosed via the internet, are there any common faults on the 6pot engine that cause it to do this?

Some pictures are attached, although I am not sure how helpful they will be.

Its important to note that the old girl is not a keeper - she was cheap and has to get me through the winter season (10k miles); anything longer is a bonus. If its a case of just keep topping her up and hope it doesnt get any worse, then that works for me!

However if a simple (and cheapish) fix could prevent disaster then I would be stupid not to do it.....

Over to you, and grateful for any advice!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
The blue smoke certainly pints the finger at the head gasket. I had an I6 with a similar problem a few years back and needed to buy some time before I could fix it properly. I used a product called chemweld. It gets added to the coolant though, so I'm not sure if it will help seal an oil-only leak. Worth investigating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more clear in my original post - the blue smoke appears as though its only coming from the drivers side of the car - ie. not out of the exhaust.

My thought was that its oil getting burnt off on a hot manifold or exhaust (it certainly smells that way).

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
stop oil leak

The blue smoke certainly pints the finger at the head gasket. I had an I6 with a similar problem a few years back and needed to buy some time before I could fix it properly. I used a product called chemweld. It gets added to the coolant though, so I'm not sure if it will help seal an oil-only leak. Worth investigating.
you could stop it with a brand call LUCAS OIL for stopin leaks this stuff is very thick an will help with the seals ,also i think what your explaining is oil getting by your piston ring creating blue smoke when hard accerlerating also call blow bye.this usually happen to high milage engine

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hi folks,

First problem with my 96 S280.

I noticed over the past few days that the oil pressure sometimes drops to around 2 bar on idle (not always) but its always a solid 3 bar the rest of the time. Oil consumption is about 1L every 4k miles. This morning when leaving work (engine cold) I noticed some blue smoke blowing out behind me as I accelerated hard on to the freeway (I guess oil burning off on the exhaust).

Ive got the car up on stands just now, whipped off the front undertray and she is pretty wet all over the underneath...... I cant see crap in there! The oil is doing a pretty good job of covering everything down there, so although its not a massive leak at the moment its not exactly a small one either......

Whilst I appreciate its not necessarily a problem that can be diagnosed via the internet, are there any common faults on the 6pot engine that cause it to do this?

Some pictures are attached, although I am not sure how helpful they will be.

Its important to note that the old girl is not a keeper - she was cheap and has to get me through the winter season (10k miles); anything longer is a bonus. If its a case of just keep topping her up and hope it doesnt get any worse, then that works for me!

However if a simple (and cheapish) fix could prevent disaster then I would be stupid not to do it.....

Over to you, and grateful for any advice!
Troubleshooting: Blue smoke from exhaust of car that is always comes out only means that the car engine is burning engine oil, and this is what we need to find out why the car engine is burning engine oil instead of only fuel.

To determine the reason why the engine is burning oil consider the following scenario:

(1) When the coming out of blue smoke from exhaust of car is accompanied with a loss of engine power especially going uphill, then obviously the problem is a bad ring. The rings the one that maintains the engine compression to generate power, it is also the one that keep the engine oil from entering your car engine combustion chambers. When the rings are worn out there is a poor sealing effect in between the piston and the engine cylinder allowing the engine oil to enter the engine combustion chambers and mixed it up with fuel and burn which in turn causes the coming out of blue smoke from exhaust of car.

(2) When the coming out of blue smoke from exhaust of car occur only when accelerating then the problem is a bad valve stem seals. Engine oil is leaking past the valve stems into the engine combustion chambers and mixed it up with fuel and burns thus a blue smoke from exhaust of car comes out.

Car Problems Caused: Bad Rings or Bad Valve Stem Seals.

What to Do: In either case, bring your car to a reputable auto repair shop and do the following:

For Bad Engine Rings, ask the mechanic to confirm whether the rings are bad. This can be done by means of wet compression test. If the rings are indeed bad, it will cost you a lot. Consider replacing your car.

For Bad Valve Stem Seals, have the valve stem seals replaced. If the problem is not corrected consider having a complete valve job, also it can cause you a lot but it can solve the problem of coming out of blue smoke from exhaust of car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Thanks, but like I said i dont *think* the smoke is coming out of the exhaust - if it is then the engine is FUBAR and ill just run it until it goes pop.

I only get the smoke when the car is cold and has been sitting for a good while - it lasts for about 2-3minutes accompanied by a burning smell and then its gone. For the rest of the time that the car is running and at operating temps theres no smoke at all.

The smoke seems to come from the opposite side to the exhaust, although I appreciate this could be caused by airflow under the car.

I think oil is pooling somewhere which once the engine is running gets hot and then burns off for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
solution

Hi

Thanks, but like I said i dont *think* the smoke is coming out of the exhaust - if it is then the engine is FUBAR and ill just run it until it goes pop.

I only get the smoke when the car is cold and has been sitting for a good while - it lasts for about 2-3minutes accompanied by a burning smell and then its gone. For the rest of the time that the car is running and at operating temps theres no smoke at all.

The smoke seems to come from the opposite side to the exhaust, although I appreciate this could be caused by airflow under the car.

I think oil is pooling somewhere which once the engine is running gets hot and then burns off for a few minutes.
lucas oil stop leak at walmart this stuff work believe me you will be impressed

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Ok, I guess you need to determine for sure if the smoke is coming out of the exhaust or not. It might just be blow-by, as kordell suggests, but really the reverse, as it's oil being sucked back into the chamber under vacuum. I'd also give the oil treatment a go, the UK should have something like the Lucas stuff, we don't see that brand here in Oz but there are plenty like it.

As I suggested in the other oil leak thread, clean it up and dust the likely areas with talcum powder. It will give a better idea of where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Judging by the fact that there is oil all over the front part of the motor, leads me to believe that the front seal/valve cover gasket is done. The reason I say that is because there is serious oil built up on the block and heads, so it has been leaking for quite a while. The blue smoke is probably oil dripping on the exhaust, where I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. Along with another Merc forum I visit it seems the general consensus is a blown seal somewhere near the bottom of the motor - common problem by all accounts and is rectifiable with a modified gasket.

I reckon ill let it be, and just top up the oil as needed - if I keep it below half full I think the leak will reduce anyway :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts