Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz : E-Class - eBay (item 200557906199 end time Dec-30-10 18:45:00 PST)

This car appears to be a beauty. Relatively low miles for it's age. Nice color. Last year of the W124, etc. There's a major issue I have with it. Notice there is rust on the passenger side front fender AND on the rear trunk moulding....and that's just what's showing up in the pictures. That said, the car's value is greatly diminished because of this.

What would be a reasonable price for this car?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,896 Posts
I would be very concerned about the rust that isn't shown. This is a retail lot hoping for a sucker with a soft spot for a CE to jump on this. I suspect the car was aquired at an auction for low money. They are promoting it as a scarce, clean car and probably have some reserve in the plus $4k range or more.

No mention of service history, upper/lower harness condition, ETA condition, Transmission condition. The cost of the harness's/ETA would set you back at least $1500-$1800 or more with NEW parts. Then you could start on the body work needs. Hard to stop rust once is has started to march.

Walk, walk, walk

Jayare

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,535 Posts
With rust like that and more unseen...walk! If not go for under $1,500...WAY under. Use it as a parts car and buy something rust free to start with. The car would be worth at most $1,000 to me, as a part's car-except 4matic wagons have many pieces that are different. And if you had the time, you could catalog/peddle all the individual parts for a real profit.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Personal flag for me is when the seller spends most of ad on the model, instead of that particular car's history.

He does not OWN the model, he owns that specific example of the car. So selling based on the general model is usually a signal that there is not loads of great news to be shared about the specific car he is holding.

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Check out his other listings and then make a intelligent decision. I agree with all the above comments and as a secondary word of caution, the two MB's listed are from auto auctions and anything and everthing goes on at places like that, Better to err in caution.
Caveat emptor

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,005 Posts
LA is good for something.....

This car has spent it's entire life in a rust zone, and averaged 10K per year.

The question is, " was it driven year round, therefore on salty roads as well?

I'd bet it was..... and like the comments above.... beware...

Better offerings from California, no rust there for the most part...

I'm not much of a fan of LA, but they generally have the best preserved examples of all the older cars we like...

Just a thought...

PS: Rich, Your Estate is stunning...! I'm getting TE fever...lol

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
I fear rust...so...run!!!
Not worth any price, well maybe $500 or so....

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,535 Posts
Personal flag for me is when the seller spends most of ad on the model, instead of that particular car's history.

He does not OWN the model, he owns that specific example of the car. So selling based on the general model is usually a signal that there is not loads of great news to be shared about the specific car he is holding.
If it's a car lot and you're dealing with a salesman, he's scum. You ignore him completely and figure your price. Don't even argue with them, as they relish conflict and disagreement.

Kevin

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah....that's what I was thinking.....no more than $1500. I'm actually looking for a parts car so the rust isn't necessarily a deal breaker. I'm more concerned about the price to pay for a rust bucket.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Coupe, Midnight/Rio Blue/Gray, 107K miles
183 Posts
Run hon. Despite good curb appeal, this is a parts car compared to well documented examples available for $6-7K. As shared here, harness, ETA and lurking corrosion could easily cost as much to repair as a better example would cost to purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts