Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My neighbor has a 1987 560SL in her driveway that has been parked there for over a decade without moving. She said she has been saving it for a friend to restore, but I am pretty sure that is not happening. I feel like I should rescue it and breathe life back into it, but I don't want to offend with a crazy offer.

Cons:
Squirrels have probably taken up residence in the engine bay.
All tires flat and rotted, soft top has a large tear.
A busted headlight and signal lens.
Reportedly had electrical issue before it was parked.

pros:
under 100K on the odometer
paint seems to be in decent shape
Euro lights (albeit one is broken)
upholstery does not look too bad
nice dark blue (almost black) color

What do you guys think would be a fair offer?

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
486 Posts
I would put a wrench on the crank and see if it is seized. If not $750 would be tops. One of the forum members just bought one similar with seized engine but with clean, nice body, and rolling for $500.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,936 Posts
You can get a lot more than that. That last members deal for $500 was exceptional. 560SL's part out for a lot of money.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,366 Posts
I'd offer $1k. The car probably runs just fine, but you will spend a pretty fortune getting a new soft top and getting the car road ready between brakes, fluid filters, and any other ancillary stuff. I would also plan on doing a timing chain and guide replacement. Easily $6-8k right there, more if you have a pro do it.

Electrical problems are typically bad grounds and are astoundingly easy to fix. If it's the cluster, just run a new ground to the bolt that holds the steering jacket.

Expect nasty fuel in the tank and all of the assorted craziness of refurbing the fuel system.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,487 Posts
Anywhere between $750-1k sounds like a good deal. Any pics to share?

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,782 Posts
If it has nice Euro bumpers, it should bring over $1k for the bumpers alone.
The one good Euro Headlight should bring in $500.
The broken Euro Headlight might be worth $100 to sell as parts.
You mention that the soft top has a tear in it - was it sitting outside for a decade with the soft top protecting it?

I would carefully evaluate what it needs if you plan on restoring it.
Already I note:
Moving it to your house: $150+
4 tires: $500+
Soft Top: $500 if you do it yourself, else $1k -$2k depending on where you live.
Replace that broken Euro headlight: $500+
If it has rust ... it will at least need a paint job: $5000
Sitting for a decade without starting will require work to clean out the fuel system.

I would buy it priced to part out. If you can make it a runner, great. Else, make some money on parts.

·
Registered
1983 380SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has nice Euro bumpers, it should bring over $1k for the bumpers alone.
The one good Euro Headlight should bring in $500.
The broken Euro Headlight might be worth $100 to sell as parts.
You mention that the soft top has a tear in it - was it sitting outside for a decade with the soft top protecting it?

I would carefully evaluate what it needs if you plan on restoring it.
Already I note:
Moving it to your house: $150+
4 tires: $500+
Soft Top: $500 if you do it yourself, else $1k -$2k depending on where you live.
Replace that broken Euro headlight: $500+
If it has rust ... it will at least need a paint job: $5000
Sitting for a decade without starting will require work to clean out the fuel system.

I would buy it priced to part out. If you can make it a runner, great. Else, make some money on parts.
Unfortunately, US bumpers with Euro headlights. My neighbor says that was a dealer upgrade option back in the 80s.
The car is sitting under a carport, with the soft-top up. I think someone tried to steal the car at some point years ago and sliced into the soft-top. It will need to be replaced.
I have not checked it out up close yet. So I am not sure if there is any rust, but from what I can tell, I think the paint is salvageable. I imagine that most of the rubber is trash and that there are air leaks everywhere. After the time spent cleaning the tank on my 380SL, I will likely just replace the tank, pump, accum, filter and regulator and hope that I can run techron through it to clean out the rest of the fuel system.

I probably would not be motivated to restore it unless I can get it for under $1K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts