Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380se
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just had to put about $800 into replacing the water pump, plugs, wires, fuel pump, pressure regulator, filter and screen. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and sell the car this spring as I'm afraid to keep it and have something major fail that will completely kill the value of the car. So the real question is if it's even worth selling or should I just tinker with it. It's an '84 380SE with 185k miles. Body is in nice condition. I installed the Bosch euro headlights. Paint fades and needs to be buffed a few times a year or repainted. Palomino leather interior is complete and aside from a few 2 or 3 inch splits in the leather and slight fading, is nice. It's hard as a rock, but nice. The engine runs strong, the transmission shifts a little hard in cold temps. All electrics work except the radio, antenna and one of the rear windows. A/C was good before I tried to charge it without really knowing what I was doing and created a leak in the condenser. Tires are a few years old but the tread is close to new. Sunroof is slow to open and close, sometimes it seems like it might not have the power to completely open or close. I'm mainly curious right now if I can recoup a bit of what I have in the car or if I should just plan to keep it as a toy. Also, I'd be appreciative if anyone has any insight on the common fixes for some of the issues I've described. Also, how can I tell if I have a double roller timing chain and whether or not I'm fairly safe to leave it alone with the mileage it has?

Attachments

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Keep it. What you have is a $1000 car. When it dies, if you are so inclined, you can part it out for that on Ebay.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
You have a '84 = double roller timing chain.

No need to be "scared of failure" - these cars usually outlast anything out there if well maintained.

I'd keep it and drive.

·
Registered
1984 380se
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Wilson and Bondavi. I was afraid it wasn't worth much more than $1k. I'm pretty sure I've got over $3k in it, lol. I guess it's a good back up if something happens to one of the others. Still might consider selling it.. I'd really like to have a black on black 86 or newer...

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
I suspect that your sunroof is so slow is because the tracks need some grease. To prevent further problems down the the road YOU SHOULD USE THE STUFF THAT MERCEDES OFFERS. Unfortunately Mercedes offers it only in a large tub which will last you and several generations of siblings a lifetime supply of grease. There are a couple of members on here that will sell you a small container of the stuff.
I agree with the other members that you should keep the car. Any car will have an
occiasional large repair bill which hopefully is an uncommon event. If your annual costs are reasonable keep the car. If its nickel and diming you everytime you turn the key it might be worth selling it.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
after investing so much in a car, its usually worth more to us than the person looking to buy. I have been there.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts