Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
I spent about 4 hours moving snow today. It's hard packed by the wind off the lake and some freezing rain yesterday, the kind of snow you have to cut into shovel-size blocks to move - great for building igloos, but murder on your back.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
I spent about 4 hours moving snow today. It's hard packed by the wind off the lake and some freezing rain yesterday, the kind of snow you have to cut into shovel-size blocks to move - great for building igloos, but murder on your back.
Like everyone else, we have had some snow, but not much. I cleared our driveway last might by hand. It was borderline needing the blower. Overnight had a little freezing rain. Just enough to have to warm E320 up before scraping windshield. (Wife's car - one of them has to be parked outdoors!)

We drove it today and windshield washer seems frozen. Went to remove 300D in garage to make space so I could thaw E320. Battery in 300D is completely dead. Voltmeter needle doesn't move at all. Charger won't even start to charge. Found the problem - seat belt had fallen out of door and door hadn't closed properly - courtesy light must have run battery down. Was like that for 4 days. Have my battery maintainer on battery at present plus a heat lamp. Hoping to get enough into it so main charger might start to charge.

SL is inaccessible and parked behind 300D, so need to get at that too, to charge and then disconnect battery.

Rough and early winter! Almost time to head South!

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,526 Posts
Just received an email from a grand niece today who's up in MT with Bigsky and she gave us a similar weather report for up there. Too cold to even go to the PO to get the mail she said. Brrrr!

Here in the Hudson River Valley, we've already had more snow than we had all last year. About 4-5" last week and another 5-6" yesterday. It's been cold here with the first cold snap (teens and 20s) of the season last week, but warmed up nicely today taking away much of yesterday's snow. Freezing rain expected tonight. A lot of winter weather to go, but either way, the 107 is safely tucked in the garage until at least April.

Think Spring!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,135 Posts
Sunny 2F this morning. No wind other than mine. A little snow overnight. 1 /4" inch over frozen rain. Feels balmy compared to some of the temps posted.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
My bro in Tully NY is having some nasty weather, but that area is known for for it so no surprise. I check it here: NYS Mesonet which might be useful for Torontans, too.
Useful site. Will help when we drive South in January on I-81. Is there a way to get Pennsylvania on same system?

Up here, we sometimes call them Torontonians, but when driving there, sometimes a few choice other names ... ;)

We are at the other end of Lake Ontario, near the Cape Vincent dot on your site. I zoomed into that area and it shows that it is snowing near Fairfield Park, which is close to where we are. Looking out the window, they are right :) Looks like localized squalls.

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Luckily, My engine hoist doubles as a snow plow:grin

Today mid 20'sF, calling for freezing rain next couple of days. Makes me appreciate front wheel/four wheel drive, and studded snow tires. Noticed the R107 has a flat rear tire, that needs fixed by May:frown

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,322 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,242 Posts
We had some black ice on Saturday morning, yo!
Watch out for language and be aware that there were 2 fatalities. At 1:42, the driver appears to leap before his rig continues into the conflagration.

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Last 2 days have been "nice", sunny and upper 20'sF. First week of the new year is supposed to be cold, calling for -20/-40 F for the next week. So, started the 280SL, gotta love the M110 started right up at 15F. With my tire set up, just barely got out of yard. Took it for a 45 mile drive, into town and back. Then parked it in the heated shop until this cold snap passes. Also calling for about 8" more snow in the next 2 days:frown

While spinning on the ice, noticed both rear tires were spinning, does this mean I have LSD? Also a scan of build sheet.

Speedometer did not work for the first 8 miles, then started working erratically for a couple of miles, now appears to be working normally. MB heater sure puts out the heat:smile

PS: main roads were dry, and bare.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,322 Posts
3rd day straight with snow here. Running out of places to put it....I don't live on a ranch...LOL.

Backed The PIG out of the garage and ran it until warmed up while I sorted through all the season's liquor and beer bottles.

Got another party to pack for...:):)

Yes the M110 engine knows no boundaries when it comes to cold starts or long lay overs.

Love that engine.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,308 Posts
For Unimog fans, dig this.

Mercedes Truck Sets New Altitude Record. Did the drivers need supplemental oxygen? Jalopnik has the post; here are a couple of excerpts: "Wheeled vehicles can achieve near-airplane-like levels of altitude, though, if they can find ground high enough. And that’s just what a Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 5023 truck did, driving nearly 21,962 feet above sea level….In case you’re unfamiliar with Unimogs, they’re Mercedes-Benz line of tough, go-anywhere trucks with flexible ladder-frame chassis and portal axles that they’ve been making since 1948…Two of these Unimogs were being used on the highest volcano in the world, the Ojos de Salado in Chile to install emergency radio units at high-altitude camps up on the volcano..."

·
Registered
1984 380SL
98 Posts
Woke up this morning and it is 67 deg. F. That is the high for today, later on a cold front will move in (cold in this case is relative).
I'm just south of you around Macon. Next week is looking awesome for a drive. Hope to be able to get out.
Derek

21 - 35 of 35 Posts