Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been cold, -24 F this morning, no wind. -17 at 9:30 PM, probably get close to -30 by morning, no wind. Have a little over a foot of dry snow right now. Expecting 15/20 MPH winds tomorrow, MISERABLE . Been so cold 300CD does not want to start even being plugged in. Bonneville, and wifes E320 4Matic barely started this morning. Plugged Duramax in today, just to keep from getting stranded. Little scary to be this cold, this early. Might be a LONG winter. How is everyone else doing???

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 380SL
397 Posts
Pretty nasty here. No snow, just ice and slush covering everything. Always overcast and drizzling just enough to irritate the piss out of you. I could probably have all of the projects on the 107 knocked out in a weekend if I had a damn garage! It's a good day when the car cover and tarp come off and I'm able to work on it and take it for a spin, though.

·
Registered
86 560SL
1,243 Posts
Woke up this morning and it is 67 deg. F. That is the high for today, later on a cold front will move in (cold in this case is relative).

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz SLK320, 2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
121 Posts
Like Ian, also in Florida. It's unusual for this time of year, but it didn't drop below 70° last night. Headed to 86 here today.

Tim

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,306 Posts
It's -2F here today, about a foot of snow on the ground. Big difference from last year's balmy December.
I am looking forward to fleeing to SWFL at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1974 450SL
36 Posts
-28 here in Thunder Bay this morning. Probably 2 years before I finish restoring my 450 so I am hoping the global warming thing kicks in by then.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,621 Posts
We got about 15" of snow this past week and now it is freezing rain. The SL has been put up under its cover for the past month, same for the 300TD. I don't even drive my Unimogs in the winter time due to all the salt used on the roads around here. I spend too much money and time on all the Mercedes we have, to allow the rust bug to eat them up!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,223 Posts
10" of snow and -6C, currently.

Yes....the garage is the best place for The PIG, at the moment.:)

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,743 Posts
Been cold, -24 F this morning, no wind. -17 at 9:30 PM, probably get close to -30 by morning, no wind. Have a little over a foot of dry snow right now. Expecting 15/20 MPH winds tomorrow, MISERABLE . Been so cold 300CD does not want to start even being plugged in. Bonneville, and wifes E320 4Matic barely started this morning. Plugged Duramax in today, just to keep from getting stranded. Little scary to be this cold, this early. Might be a LONG winter. How is everyone else doing???
Here in N.C. the temp this morning at 6AM was 56F. Two days ago at 6AM it was 19F.
I use a Kerosun Kerosene heater to knock the chill off and assist
the Heat Pumps which suck in cold weather.
I'm curious, what to you Montana folks use to heat your houses?

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in N.C. the temp this morning at 6AM was 56F. Two days ago at 6AM it was 19F.
I use a Kerosun Kerosene heater to knock the chill off and assist
the Heat Pumps which suck in cold weather.
I'm curious, what to you Montana folks use to heat your houses?
I use #2 fuel oil, most of the newer homes use propane. Actually getting a weird weather pattern now. -17F at 9:30, -24F at midnight, 0F and snowing, about 4" of new snow, at 7:00 AM, total of 16" now. Personally I have always had good luck with the fuel oil, and if the apocalypse hits, I have fuel for the 300CD:devil

The nice weather sure sounds good, but I would be afraid of the crowds, hurricanes, and flooding. :smile

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,222 Posts
Wow. That is some cold stuff! When we get highs below 35-40 F I like to run the fireplace insert / wood burning stove. But in those temperatures, I'm not sure I could even find a way to go outside to get the wood to burn. I don't think we've had anything below about 15 F here yet this year. It seems the philadelphia area weather hasn't really gotten hit hard with these "polar vortex" lows.

As @WeatherMan has said before, once the cold air from the North Pole starts wobbling, it usually means we are in for a winter of the wild swings in temperature. This is likely the new norm with the North Pole being warmer and less of a low pressure area to hold the colder air up that way.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL
274 Posts
We got about 15" of snow this past week and now it is freezing rain. The SL has been put up under its cover for the past month, same for the 300TD. I don't even drive my Unimogs in the winter time due to all the salt used on the roads around here. I spend too much money and time on all the Mercedes we have, to allow the rust bug to eat them up!
Von,

We're almost WNY neighbors. My home is not far from UB North Campus. You do any of the local car shows with your fleet? Olcott Beach show, etc.? Any good shows around Rochester?

Larry

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz SLK320, 2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
121 Posts
The nice weather sure sounds good, but I would be afraid of the crowds, hurricanes, and flooding. :smile
Can't do much about the crowds, but you get plenty of warning on hurricanes and if you're on high ground, you're safe from flooding too.

Tim

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,621 Posts
Von,

We're almost WNY neighbors. My home is not far from UB North Campus. You do any of the local car shows with your fleet? Olcott Beach show, etc.? Any good shows around Rochester?

Larry
Only thing I do locally are a few of the higher end cruise nights here in town once in awhile. I do the MassMog event with the Unimogs twice a year. Guess I'm too busy driving them to show them!

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL
274 Posts
Only thing I do locally are a few of the higher end cruise nights here in town once in awhile. I do the MassMog event with the Unimogs twice a year. Guess I'm too busy driving them to show them!
Just bought my 560SL about a year ago. Like I said... enjoying the ride. She's a California car in pretty good condition, looks nice and not much work to be done.

Just curious. Never know who we might run into at a show. Hardly every see a Benz at shows in Chevy and Ford country.:smile

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,304 Posts
26 in the Valley last night, predicting low 50's today and low 30's tonight but clear. Beats the 4" of rain in 12 hours Thursday that killed the power for 9 hours.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
26 in the Valley last night, predicting low 50's today and low 30's tonight but clear. Beats the 4" of rain in 12 hours Thursday that killed the power for 9 hours.
9 hours with no power would be deadly up here. I could get propane heater used for camping set up in house, or stay in the shop, with the good wood stove in a true emergency. But that long without power, would cause the pump house/water pipes under house to freeze, and break. Hate to even think about not having power, even for a short period of time.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,641 Posts
...and the Winter weather here is lousy. I live in the highest elevation here in CT- Our weather can be very different than the surrounding areas. Two weeks ago we had over a foot of heavy wet snow. A couple miles down the mountain- nothing at all, bare ground. And we lose power with some frequency. The wood stove and generator are really needed here.

The SL's won't see the road until at least late April.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts