Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ML 320CDI Black, Porsche 996 Targa
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

A quick question for the combined knowledge of the forum.

I have a 1 month old ML 320CDI and so far I am incredibly pleased with it. Performance is more than adequate (even if you have been driving a Porsche 996 for the last 4 years), ride quality and comfort are outstanding, etc...

One thing is bugging me. I supposedly had one of the first cars with the optional rearview camera's installed, and I now have some issues with it.

If I put the car in reverse gear the command system doesn't automatically switch to the rearview camera. I first have to go in the video menu an push the AV2 button and then it will function. By the way, if put in reverse, the screen flickers a few time as if it is trying to connect but it then gives up.

Feedback from the product manager in Brussels was that the rearview camera is not supposed to switch on automatically when put in reverse, because it is a different (read : more basic ) setup than the one on the S-class.

This is rubbish. The system is indeed slightly different (no positioning lines for instance), but the manual clearly states that the command screen should switch to rearview camera automatically and the interactive manual on the mercedes website confirms this. Anyway, it is clear that the system is trying to connect to the rearview camera anyway.....

I was wondering whether any of you guys had the same issue and if you maybe had a sollution for this.

I was by the way not the only guy apparently to notify the product people of this issue, cause more same issues were reported.

Do I need a command soft update or what is your opinion ?

Many thx

Ilpaco

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
Mine pops up right after selecting reverse. There is a slight pause but nothing to indicate a problem. Mine is a 2007 and I don't have a AV2 button but I'll check later tonight. (Still wish I could get movies to play on my Command though but I can't have everything....)
-Chris

·
Registered
Soon to be owner of ML 320 CDI
26 Posts
Yep, mine is exactly the same. 2007 320 CDI three months oldand works just as it should - automatically when reverse is selected. I can override it if I select another function after it has gone into the video screen but not really necessary.

I also have an AV2 on the Comand which I think is designed to accomodate the rear seat DVD if fitted. My dealer assured me that the Comand could play movies but like Chris, can't get it to work.

Does anyone know what sort of drain the unit puts on the battery if the engine is not running? I have the television fitted on the Comand and have already had the teen kids hopping back in the car and sit there watching the tv before we get back. Wondered how long it would last for.

·
Registered
ML 320CDI Black, Porsche 996 Targa
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will need to get this fixed.

Obviously I can't see any dvd's on the AV2 since I have my rearview camera there currently.

The TV tuner doesn't drain the battery to much in my experience. I have been watching TV for more than an hour a week ago, waiting for the ferry, and had no problem what so ever afterwards.

Ilpaco

·
Registered
Soon to be owner of ML 320 CDI
26 Posts
Thanks re the battery.

I was intrigued with your comment about AV2. I have a separate screen when I select AV2 (looks like TV but with nothing there) but there is no switch for my camera other than the automatic setup. Strange, sounds like a screw up in installation. If you read the manual for the Comand, the AV2 seems to refer only to the rear seat systems, but could have this wrong.

Good luck with the fix. When it works well, it is a good setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts