Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I have an E320 CDI estate, year 2000. Just recently, the rear wiper has stopped working. When I press the button on the dash, nothing happens. The red led in the centre of the button does light and I can't hear anything. Not sure if this will help dianose the problem, but I had my EIS replaced 2 weeks ago, by MB, and I'm sure it was working before that. All the fuses look OK. Any would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Maybe this will help your understanding, but the rear wiper like the front are apart of a system of components.One of the elements in the system is not allowing voltage to flow to the wiper motor.

There is a relay in the rear wiper motor, the PSE and SAM modules are also apart of the system and are acuated when you push the switch. If you have a rain sensor then the overhead control module is also apart of the system. Something is faulty.

You need a wiring diagram or the dealer will have to Star the extended vehicle network to isolate the faulty module. Or you can stat changing out expensive parts till you find the one that is faulty------that advice would be very entertaining!!

Enjoy the holidays.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plutoe - Thanks for the reply. Is the relay for the wiper inside the motor ?. Would I need to strip the motor to check the relay, and can you elaborate on "extended vehicle network ".

thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
From the wiring diagram I have access to, it appears that the relay is hard wired within the wiper motor.

The difficulty of diagnosing the extended vehicle network without a scanner that can read the proprietary MB body codes, is what you are starting to do, mail off the wiper motor, etc.

First spend the money to scan the modules in question----the scan will tell you the faulty component. Then you can make the decision on whether you want to replace or have a grease monkey do the work.

Generally speaking the EVN or extended vehicle network is the system of switches, modules and actuators that make interior subsystems function---an example is the rear wipers and or the central locking system.

For more detailed info search the subject as you could create a course on the EVN.

Good luck and have a happy holiday

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
151 Posts
Does the EIS need to be programmed to know there is a rear wiper installed?
Have you asked the dealer who installed it if this is the case?
If it worked prior to the service and not after they should correct it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi I also own a E320 CDI estate 2003 W210 model
My rear wiper has stopped but the washer still works,the light comes on the switch also but no movement of the wiper
Basically what you are advising is to get it read by. star diagnostic to define if it is the relay in the motor
Any other tips ?

Cheers all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi thanks for the link I found the paper in the fuse box with the list of fuses but I can't find fuses 41 and 44 under the bonnet . I found the fuse box but no fuses with such a high number ?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts