Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm usually on the W201 forum, but I figured I'd pop over here since I need some time sensitive advice. As the title states, I am replacing the leaking rear windshield seal on my 190E (its the same type of seal as the 124 chassis). I have removed the rear seat, c pillar trim, and rear shelf so far. I haven't found a single speck of rust so far (shocking on a Connecticut car with 215k miles).

I get the whole removal of the windshield, install of the windshield, have an OE gasket (thanks mboemparts.com), and have 3M 8509 non hardening glazing sealant, but I'm worried about breaking the glass during removal of the old seal from the glass itself, and the installation of the new seal onto the glass.

I plan on soaking the seal in a pail of hot soapy water for a good 30 minutes before putting it on the glass, but has anyone done this before that can recommend a way to remove the seal from the glass and placing the new seal on?

The trim replacement is self explanatory but seems like it will be a pain and the removal/re-install seems simple enough.

Any and all help is appreciated, just looking to keep my school bag from getting soaked every time I drive in when it rains or snows (water pours into the trunk).

Don't move this, I intended to post in the 124 forum as the 201 forum isn't very active (despite having excellent content).

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Here is the factory video on windshield replacement. Same technique applies to the rear as it is a bonded screen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Eriksve
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing