Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 87 300E for 4 days now...man what a car! I don't know if I've ever liked a car more all-around...of ANY year.

Anyway, the driver-side rear window usually works (stuck down today for a while & freaked me out) and the passenger side rear window almost never works. I always hear faint clicking inside the doors when I hit the switches, but the windows don't always move. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My drivers side window switch sticks, if I don't put it to the center position the switch won't work for 10- 20 seconds. I think the window switchs have a breaker that resets.I don't know about the noise in the door but I think most problems come from bad or dirty switches. Good Luck

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
My 91 300e came with records from day one and to date @ 111,000 miles, i show that every switch for windows has been replaced once starting at 55k miles to about 100k miles.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
If you hear faint clicking inside the doors, I'd say the switches are doing their job and the problem is with the motors. Check for power to the motors to confirm this diagnosis before spending your money.

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
The rear windows usually trips out like that from a crimped wire in the door. It's a common problem in the W124's. I had the same problem a while back, just take it to any reputable shop they should know what you're talking about. Don't get suckered into buying a whole new regulator. They don't sell them seperate from the motor, that part is going to run you over $200. So check your motors first if they work it's more then likely a crimped wire.

here's some links that helped me solve my problem..good luck

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=242856&posts=3&hl=rear+window

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=190195&posts=7&hl=rear+window
~Cali

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Check the door jam wiring harness. That's were the wires sometimes get cut! I had the same problem as you, and one day I decided to check the inner door jam! Bingo, all four wires cut. I cut and connected them and my window works great! You have to pull the boot apart to access the wires!
good luck,
Spiros

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=107138

~Cali

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I fear the worst. I messed with the door jam wiring on both sides with no effect. I did notice , though, that I get the faint clicking whether I am using the forward or rear switches...seems that this means they are sending a "go" signal to the internal mechanisms. Thank you all for the reference posts...off comes the door panel and I will post my resolution for all. [:eek:)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts