Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Merz CLK 500 2-door convertible
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear window, driver-side, goes up and down normally. The problem is that when I open the front door, it does not drop and pull back. So when I close the front door, it hits the rear. If I manually push the rear window down and back then close the front door, the rear pulls up and to the front perfectly. This is the 2006 Benz CLK 500 2-door convertible. Where do I begin to fix it? The opening of the front door working to what thing to make the rear window dropped and back?
Another question is that do I need to uninstall the convertibles to repair the rear window?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,243 Posts
First , try re-synchronising your windows...with the car running , put each window down and then up fully , and continue pulling the switch up for a few seconds after the window stops.
If this doesn't fix it ,,you could also try a battery disconnect and reconnect , and then another re-synch.
If all this fails , you probably need to remove and replace or repair the rear window lift mechanism , or regulator ..
There is a comprehensive DIY sticky on this topic.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,781 Posts
Welcome to the forum @docco - please take a moment to visit your forum user's control panel. Go into "Account Settings", then "Account Details". Fill in the information for your "Location" (at least state/country), and your "Vehicle Details" (model and year). This will appear on all of your posts in the left pane, below your name and avatar photo. If you have more cars than will show there, then add them to your "Signature". This information will be of great assistance to others when trying to help you.

Do as Benzyle suggests, but first, reset the controllers and reset all four windows. To reset the controllers, pull fuses 21, 22, 28, 32 and 33 for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Open front door --> supply power to run motor --> rear window drops and pulls back
2. Push "down- window" button --> supply power to run motor --> rear window down
The two above cases have the same mechanism, right? (using the same motor, belt, wiring ...). The difference is that case 1 happened for a short time and that case 2 happened for a long time?

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,243 Posts
Correct. Same mechanism , different signal source.
Try what we have suggested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you. So, can be the belt is loosened? if the belt is loosened, then in case1, the motor can not pull the rear glass down? Right? Is there a case the belt is loosened? (It has a spring at the end).
If the belt can not be loosened, the motor is still ok (because the glass goes up/down normally) --> the only reason is that the switch when opening the front door not work well so the motor has no power? In this case how to check the switch? When I open the front door, the front glass drops correctly, but the rear glass not drop.
One suggested that I try to re-program the switches but I do not know is there a program and how to do it? I already tried to push the front window down, hold the button for some seconds, then raise the front window up, hold the button for some seconds, but it did not solve the problem.
Is there any fuse only for the switch to drop the rear glass?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Belt ? What belt ?
So , you have done the first thing ...unfortunately it did not fix your issue .
Try the next thing,,battery disconnect , wait half hour and reconnect , then synch window switches again.
Also do what Rudeney said.
If that all fails , then the issue will be what I said in the first post ..your switches will be fine.
You will need a new or second hand rear window regulator lift mechanism , or you need to repair the original with a repair kit..

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
OK ,,you will find the plastic parts that secure the wire and spring are cracked , which has the effect of loosening the wire. Soon they may break entirely , and you will be unable to move the window at all.
You will need to replace or repair the window regulator lift mechanism.

·
21,781 Posts
I have also seen others in the forum use a rebuild kit that comes with new plastic pulleys and wire. It's much less expensive that a new regulator, but I am not sure of how easy it is to install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK ,,you will find the plastic parts that secure the wire and spring are cracked , which has the effect of loosening the wire. Soon they may break entirely , and you will be unable to move the window at all.
You will need to replace or repair the window regulator lift mechanism.
If the plastic part of the moderator is broken, why the glass functions up and down perfectly?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't know ,,do you ?

·
21,781 Posts
Is any fuse missing?

Here's a fuse chart:

It seems that you do not have the memory/power seat and steering column adjustment option, so several positions will be empty. The only one I question is number 25, which is for the upper control panel. I am sure you have that component (the panel of buttons above the radio , but it may be that it is not fused. This may have changed with the MY2005 facelift. Maybe another W209 owner can check and see if they have that one.

Also - PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE take a moment to visit your forum user's control panel. Go into "Account Settings", then "Account Details". Fill in the information for your "Location" (at least state/country), and your "Vehicle Details" (model and year). I know you may have mentioned some of this in your initial post, but having it in your profile, it will appear on all of your posts in the left pane, below your name and avatar photo. This information will be of great assistance to others when trying to help you. If you have more cars than will show there, then add them to your "Signature".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Also - PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE take a moment to visit your forum user's control panel. Go into "Account Settings", then "Account Details". Fill in the information for your "Location" (at least state/country), and your "Vehicle Details" (model and year). I know you may have mentioned some of this in your initial post, but having it in your profile, it will appear on all of your posts in the left pane, below your name and avatar photo. This information will be of great assistance to others when trying to help you. If you have more cars than will show there, then add them to your "Signature".
Excuse me! My vehicle information updated. It's done

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know ,,do you ?
If the plastic part of the moderator is broken, why the glass functions up and down perfectly?
At first I guess there is a problem with the switch supplying power to the rear motor when opening the front door. But I do not know the wiring and the position

·
21,781 Posts
Since the window works fine to raise and lower with the switch, then it's probably not the regulator. Does the window in the door properly raise and lower an inch when opening and closing the door? If not then it is not recognizing that door has been opened.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Since the window works fine to raise and lower with the switch, then it's probably not the regulator. Does the window in the door properly raise and lower an inch when opening and closing the door? If not then it is not recognizing that door has been opened.
Yes, I guess so. It does not recognize the front door opening, but it recognizes the front door closing. I need help with the position of the open/close-door switch and its wiring

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found the open door switch. It functions perfectly. When opening the front door, both the front and rear glass drop. The front glass drops 1/2 inch perfectly while THE REAR GLASS DROP ONLY AROUND 1/5 INCH.
HOW TO ADJUST TO MAKE THE REAR GLASS DROP MORE? Note that when closing the front door, the rear glass up-movement is perfect.

·
21,781 Posts
I don't believe there is an adjustment for the distance the glass drops when you open the door, but there are adjustments for the angle of the glass:

Reactions: Benzyle
1 - 20 of 82 Posts