Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 CLK 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1998 c320

It been working all this time, but today when I hit the switch to roll the Rear Window Sunshade down, nothing happen.

What can be the problem and how I correct this?

Please Help :(

The manual doesn't tell much.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430 Coupe, 1987 560 SEC, 240,000 miles, lowered, still a very nice car
106 Posts
If you're lucky it's just the fuse or switch but if not then it's a screamin bitch to fix. Even the switch is not that easy because you have to remove the surround on the dash to get to it. Assuming the switch is ok (it probably is) there's a DIY here somewhere with pictures that describes how to remove the sunshade in order to fix it. Do a forum search. I had the same problem and luckily it was part of the deal when I bought the car. They didn't agree to replace it but they did agree to at least put it in the down position. The manager admitted to me it was a big mistake on their part. It took them like 5 hours between getting it out, futzing with it to roll it down and then putting it back. You have to remove the rear package shelf which involves also removing the interor parts on both sides of the rear glass to get the sunshade out and according to the DIY I read you may be able to free up the motor or replace it. Otherwise a new shade is something like $1,700. Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
1998 CLK 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Before I remove the rear cover and get to the assembly. Fuse is ok. Switch I"m assuming is good. Any recommendations or thoughts? Is the motor the issue? Should just replace the motor and problem be gone?

The rear shade is still in the UP position....

I'm hoping there's a simple solution to this problem. PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
The 12v dc path is fuse f5 > switch S79 > motor M24. The 0v return goes via the switch to a chassis earth point located on the left front seat crossmember. Check that place for a good earth. - it could be your problem.

I've just looked through my WIS to see what is involved in getting access to the motor, and it's not an easy task. Each has several steps.

1. remove rear seat cushions
2. remove panels on C pillars
3. remove head restraints
4. remove rear shelf.
5. remove sun shade motor.

·
Registered
1998 CLK 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
""You say that you have checked fuse f20 (10A). This protects the rear screen blind relay (K74) and motor (M24). To access the motor you will have to remove:

1. paneling on the C pillar. 2. rear shelf.

I cannot locate relay K74, (it is not with all the other relays) but I suspect it is in the trunk, behind the removable covers on either the left or right side."

I only check the fuse that's in the engine bay. There a small fuse box in the truck (next to battery) with 9 slost and a relay next to the box. I just don't know which is which.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
""You say that you have checked fuse f20 (10A). This protects the rear screen blind relay (K74) and motor (M24). To access the motor you will have to remove:

1. paneling on the C pillar. 2. rear shelf.

I cannot locate relay K74, (it is not with all the other relays) but I suspect it is in the trunk, behind the removable covers on either the left or right side."
Please disregard all the post above. I deleted it quickly when I realized that it was only relevant to W209 CLK models.

I only check the fuse that's in the engine bay. There a small fuse box in the truck (next to battery) with 9 slost and a relay next to the box. I just don't know which is which.
Yes this fusebox is in the engine bay. The fuses are in 3 Blocks.

Block A = f1 to f9. (fuse F1 is towards front of car)
Block B = f10 to f13
Block C = f14 to f 17.

The fuse for rear screen blind motor is f5 (20A).

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430 Coupe, 1987 560 SEC, 240,000 miles, lowered, still a very nice car
106 Posts
Ok, Junster, you're obviously not any kind of mechanic. Exactly what part of that sunshade would require a fuse other than the motor? :rolleyes:

Just my opinion but it's not wise grasshopper to dig into your very high tech Mercedes if you don't know anything at all about basic mechanics and electrical stuff. A motor with a fuse is about as basic as it gets.

Bob

·
Registered
1998 CLK 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Junster, you're obviously not any kind of mechanic. Exactly what part of that sunshade would require a fuse other than the motor? :rolleyes:

Just my opinion but it's not wise grasshopper to dig into your very high tech Mercedes if you don't know anything at all about basic mechanics and electrical stuff. A motor with a fuse is about as basic as it gets.

Bob
I'm trying to locate that fuse or/and relay.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
I'm trying to locate that fuse or/and relay.
As I wrote above, there is no sun blind relay on W208.

This info from the WIS should guide you to your F1 fuse f5. (shown here as 20A, shown on the circuit diagram as 15A, so it's moot)

Circuit 15R means that the fuse has 12v dc when Ig key is in posn 1, 2, or 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 CLK55 AMG
64 Posts
I read up on this a while ago and found out that this is typically caused by the shaft on the electric motor "walking" (maybe the sprocket...its been a while). Its a bitch to get to but you can press the shaft back in place fairly easily once the motor is out.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.