Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and happy Thanksgiving to all on this side of the pond and also to those elsewhere who join us in this holiday.

I just took a good look at my rear window seal (still original after 300K plus miles) after some very heavy rainstorms. It turns out there is a thin line of rust at both corners and a few bits along the top of the trunk seal. Fortunately, underneath the deck and the portholes in the trunk it is as clean and clear of rust as I got them several years of cleaning ago.

As a temporary fix, while I seek a new window seal, I recall some threads (which I tried to find) talking about placing a thin bead of Permatex silicone along the seals. Can someone confirm that my memory is correct and that the silicone should go on (under?) the top edge of the seals. Sounds right to me. Is it?

· Registered
1989 300SE 247k+ miles
4,500 Posts
Chiming in for when Stewpot finds that replacement seal. I was going to pull my rear window and reuse the seal. But if a replacement is available, I'm happy to look at that.

· Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks all for the advice.

I recommend you don’t touch the oem window seal if you have no drips into the trunk and no rust under the deck lid
@tusabes it does get into the trunk in a really heavy rain through the lid seal. assume it overflows the sluices. perhaps just permatex that seal?
if a replacement is available, I'm happy to look at that.
@isthenew I found Febi, Uro and genuine for Gen 1 500sel. You might google your car under rear window seal and see what pops up.
recently replaced my rear window seal.
@1783pictures where did you get yours? Maybe they have them for SEL also.

P.S.
@isthenew I just took my own advice. Not surprisingly, your car and mine use the same part (#126 678 0120)

· Registered
1989 300SE 247k+ miles
4,500 Posts
Hey, I appreciate it. However I took your advice and AutohausAZ has that not fitting mine. And giving me a different part number for my '89 300SE. #1266780420

..Now for another deep part search!!

· Registered
1990 420 SEC
1,140 Posts
On mine the original seal was ok to use after cleaning. I would not cut the seal while removing. After installation gaps between seal, chassis and glass should be made more waterproof with butyl sealant. One can inject butyl sealant without removing the glass but rust spots should be treated and surfaces should be cleaned for more permanent result.

· Registered
85 500 SEC (Euro), 91 350 SDL
2,004 Posts
I bought seals from both mboemparts.com and mercedespartscenter.com. Both still have the correct Benz rear SEC window seal. I imagine one of the two will have the SEL's.

For my trunk seal I could not find OEM and had to go URO. Numerous places listed the OEM seal, but when I would order a week or so later the order would be canceled. That happened maybe three times and then I just said F it and went with the URO.

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,191 Posts
Before ordering any parts just check to see if it is available first and save yourself and the suppliers the time and bother. Most sites list parts that are NLA.

· Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
again, thanks all

made more waterproof with butyl sealant.
@Heikkif which is better, butyl or silicone? i assume flexible is preferred to hardening?

For my trunk seal I could not find OEM and had to go URO
@1783pictures hi matt. I first went with URO for the trunk seal, but it was so bad it would not even squish in. returned it and found either a real Mercedes seal from one of the online dealers or a Genuine Mercedes seal, I don't remember, but it fit well and stays dry except for monsoons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts