Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It must be a sign of w126 addiction when your friends, who don’t even have a w126, know enough about your car to pull a part at a JY and deliver it to your house to help install it. A guy I work with (he works on an old Porsche 944 like I do on my w126) saw a PRISTINE rear window on an 88 420SEL at the local PAP. He knew I needed one and texted me to find out if an 88 rear window would work for my 86. I told him it should. He said he saw no delam on the window. PAP only wanted $20 for it!
A few weeks ago I had purchased a rear window gasket from the dealer to the tune of $130 knowing this was something I was going to do soon. My best line on a window was $100 dollars at an import JY and it had some delam but not nearly like mine which has probably a 6x8 inch patch on the bottom of both sides. The one my buddy brought by today looked brand new. Not a spec of delam, no scratches, pitting or anything. I am wondering if it was a new replacement within the last few years before the car ended up in the yard.
Anyway, the install went pretty well. I wouldn’t say it was easy but it was an enjoyable challenge. The trim wasn’t as hard as I thought. We used the rope pull method; not that I know of any other way. Lots of dish soap solution was used. To do the job, I only had to remove the rear seat, the C-pillar trim panels, and the third brake light. I also unscrewed and pulled the parcel shelf out of the clips and slid it forward a couple inches but did not have to remove it. I did have some pretty good rust under the gasket when the old window came out as seen in the pictures. It hadn’t really eaten any major holes, but a couple of the edges were sacrificed. I wire brushed everything really good and applied some rust stop. I think it was called Loctite Extend. My buddy, who has done a lot of body work, said it was pretty good and should stop anything further in those areas.
I did not use any type of sealant anywhere. I think this would have made the job much more difficult. It took three attempts to put the window in. Got it started a couple times and stopped to pull it back out. The first time the gasket wasn’t grabbing the lip; didn’t have the window slid down far enough. The second time we found it wasn’t centered; off by about a 1/8”. If we had used sealant, it would have been a hella mess. Third time was a charm. I figure that if I find any leaking, I can use a small tip on a sealant gun and inject it around under the seals. I ran the car through a car wash when we were done and I found no evidence of leaking in the trunk or inside on the window. I think I will have to let it sit out in a good hard rain and then see what happens.

Last thing is to get the rear window re-tinted.

Attachments

·
Registered
w201,w124,w126
2,318 Posts
I'm dreading the job on my car. And I have a lot more visible rust on that corner too. I'll be sure to bug you about details when I get round to doing it.

·
Registered
1989 500SEC
253 Posts
when mine was done we put sealant on the glass side of seal before it went in and then on the body side of the seal after it was in. I would put some in before you find any leaking, sealing after will only trap water and cause more rust, thats what happened to mine.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
when mine was done we put sealant on the glass side of seal before it went in and then on the body side of the seal after it was in. I would put some in before you find any leaking, sealing after will only trap water and cause more rust, thats what happened to mine.
That sounds like a correct installation! Here are the .pdf's...

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 500SEC
253 Posts
you have to be carefull to get it in the right position as well, mine was a few mm too low down and the chrome trim was catching on the boot (trunk) lid. Didnt want to risk taking the glass back otu again so i had to adjust the lid position. It does mention in the manual that the window can be adjusted in situ to reduce wind noise, i mentioned it to the windscreen guy who just laughed at the prospect of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts