Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both rear windows on a 95 S420 don't respond to the window button. Additionally the passenger side rear window will shimmy down about a quarter of an inch after a minute or two of driving. I can push it back up to the fully closed position. It's not enough of a fall to see an opening, but is just enough of a fall to hear the sound of the road. The driver side window stays up but is unresponsive to the button. Are these motor or regulator problems?

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
First thing I would do is to see if I can hear the motor! If the motor is running a good guess is you have a bad regulator! I think its a bad reg.!!

Smokie

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
its the regulator and there about 40 bux shipped each on ebay,
i have spare rear window motors but i have yet to use them and i doubt i will ever.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
The regulators go often in these cars. The window glass (double glaze) is heavy.
the heavy glass causes the top spring to wear out which in turn causes the cable to slack and come off the top pulley and the window gets stuck the next time you put it up.
if the cable has not already gotten tangled in the regulator you might be able to get the cable back on the pully, but this will only give you another month or 2 or service before it happens again.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
I had to replace the one in the front drivers door when I got mine. Looked on Ebay but I ended up buying one from Eddie A. here on the boards!! Was a OEM reg and motor for way less than Ebay China crap!! BTW it has worked perfectly from day one!! Eddie will always be my first choise for OEM parts!!!! Plus if he don't have it he will try his best to find it for you! Oh did I mention his prices are fair!!! Man sounds like a plug!! LOL!

Smokie

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
What brand do you guys recommend OEM or Dorman? I have to fix my rear reg.

Thanks,

PB
I would concur that OEM/OES is the way to go. You'll spend $100+ for the regulator and the rivets, but you'll only do it once. I know others who have bought the Asian aftermarket crap...and it worked...but only after going through three regulators to get one that lasted.

·
Registered
1993 400sel
5 Posts
Rear window Regulator help

Hi,

Rear right window on my 93 400SEL has been a prob for years so I searched out a repair on the boards and found my issue. After removing the door panel and drilling out the rivets, I removed the regulator to find the top pulley wheel gone and all the pieces in the door well. Put a new regulator in and up/down in the middle movement worked and sounded fine. When window hit the upper or lower last 1" started to hear a grinding and then the cast metal on the slide snapped. See attached picture. I thought the motor had a built in sensing system that stopped the movement at the top and bottom. Motor didn't continue to run just seam to exert too much pressure at the extreme top and bottom. Any info and this fix would be greatly appreciated..

thx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
I had to replace the one in the front drivers door when I got mine. Looked on Ebay but I ended up buying one from Eddie A. here on the boards!! Was a OEM reg and motor for way less than Ebay China crap!! BTW it has worked perfectly from day one!! Eddie will always be my first choise for OEM parts!!!! Plus if he don't have it he will try his best to find it for you! Oh did I mention his prices are fair!!! Man sounds like a plug!! LOL!

Smokie
20% commission...lol

·
Registered
88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
540 Posts
The regulators on my '93 400SEL have been replaced as well, but not sure what all was done, as a MB shop did them... it was pretty costly as I recall reading on the receipt. I think all have been replaced, but I know that both back ones replaced for sure.

Hi,

Rear right window on my 93 400SEL has been a prob for years so I searched out a repair on the boards and found my issue. After removing the door panel and drilling out the rivets, I removed the regulator to find the top pulley wheel gone and all the pieces in the door well. Put a new regulator in and up/down in the middle movement worked and sounded fine. When window hit the upper or lower last 1" started to hear a grinding and then the cast metal on the slide snapped. See attached picture. I thought the motor had a built in sensing system that stopped the movement at the top and bottom. Motor didn't continue to run just seam to exert too much pressure at the extreme top and bottom. Any info and this fix would be greatly appreciated..

thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts