Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear window on the driver's side will not stay up. It slides down slightly, and I'm not sure what's quite wrong with it. What part needs replacing? And, how do I remove the rear door panel to take a look at the internals? I heard something about going about a certain way to remove the panel so I won't break some tabs or something.
-Joe

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
regulator is more then likely shot. The door panel needs to come up THEN out. Remove every acrew you can find and then some before you try to pull the door.

Jonathan

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
remove the two screws which hold the chrome cover near the latch mechanism and set all aside. remove the small black plastic cover under the chrome pull handle on the door- use a very small straight screw driver of razor on the edge- you'll find a retaining screw. carefully pull out the surround. Underneath will be a heavy phillips holding the door handle on- one of three. remove the lock top by unscrewing. remove the window trim piece near the rear- it'll have one or two small set screws on the outside. pull the whole door panel directly UP not out in a careful, wiggly motion- it should come easily- be sure to keep the panel close to the door while doing this as you have plastic retainers which break easily on the panel. your door will have a plastic sheet covering the interior for water intrusion protection- pull it off part way to expose the window mechansim. Most likely you have missing teeth on the gear of the window closing arm, or missing teeth on the motor. You'll need to change out the part with the missing teeth. MB used several type of mechanisms, and at least two types of motors on w126's. Euro models can be completely different. Either find one at a local yard, find one online that matches yours, or take it to a shop- expect about 2-3 hours of labor plus parts minimum. Jim 1243354 something, benzbonz or others on shopforum have access to and sell used parts much cheaper than anyone here from what I've found. Folks on this forum ask t2-4 times what they ask for parts over there. Euro's for w126's come up over there for about $175-$200- Bosch units- here they go for like $400- same used units. I'd expect you'd pay at most $50 for a window reg over there, perhaps as little as $20. I also get parts from time to time, but get quite busy and cannot fulfill all the requests I get.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W126 500SEL &380SEL W116 280SE
75 Posts
I had a small plastic thingie that slides in the bottom break and that was very inexpensive the worst part was taking it all apart. Can't remeber its name sorry.
Hank J.
btw I do drive a W126 500SEL.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
they just call it a window regulator repair kit. When they brake the window won't work at all.

Jonathan

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Since my dad drives it mostly, he knows it's previous problems a little better, and this has happened before. Before I asked here, he told me that he knew it was some small, cheap plastic part that needed replacing, and he didn't know the name of it, and that he would get it from the dealer. You guys here helped me get the exact name of it, and we are probably going to tackle it this weekend. It's just not right to slide up a window with one hand in the car and one on the outside on a MB, especially a 126, that's for Fords.[|)]
-Joe

·
Registered
1985 500 SEL
175 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4536684041&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I found this on ebay and was thinking that I may need to replace this for my rear passenger side window, but I forgot to check on it maybe they still have some for sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts