Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please first keep in mind that I feel like I have started a Benz rescue, because if not for me, my 300D would surely have been put out to pasture.

Question is regarding the rear window defroster. I planned on replacing the rear window seal (it's so bad that the window actually rattles in harmony with the diesel when warming up) and wondered if there is any fashion of testing the rear window defog before I replace the glass (the glass is in good shape and would rather not).

Reason I ask is that before I tore out the center console (and all switches), I had the occasion to try the defog and it seemed to work but not completely. It took about 10 miles of driving to notice that it did anything and when it did work it was only a couple of "bands" in the window.

Could there be a possible switch issue (although I would think a switch was either good or bad period) or maybe a wiring issue not allowing enough juice to the window.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Mine takes a while to do anything as well. I think that is normal. I live in San Diego where it is warm and it is usually just a fog I am trying to get rid of. I can't imagine how long it would take to clear ice!!! [:D]

The bottom two bands on my window have stoped working also. I think it means there is a break in those bands somewhere. Usually happens from scrapping the window with an ice scrapper. Being from Michigan that is probably what happened [8D]

You could probably test the glass with an ohm meter. But that would only tell you if at least one line was working.

Good luck, pulling the glass sounds like a big job. Hope it goes well!

Mike

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Same here, my bottome there bands dont work and a couple near the top, but after bout say 5 minutes it heats up pretty good that i can see well out the back. hope all goes well [:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts