Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sl
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear window has none of the wires in the glass that you normally see with a rear window defroster . wondering if the glass was replaced at some time and not the same as original? the connecting wires are there but not plugged in to anything.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
my rear window has none of the wires in the glass that you normally see with a rear window defroster . wondering if the glass was replaced at some time and not the same as original? the connecting wires are there but not plugged in to anything.
Originals, at least on my '88, are damn hard to see... If you have the plug on the wires, it plugs into the little pocket hidden by the leather flap on the quarter panel side.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
Only the very first 107 models had visible wires.
I don't understand your question. If the pig tail is there it just plugs in.

·
Registered
1988 560sl
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originals, at least on my '88, are damn hard to see... If you have the plug on the wires, it plugs into the little pocket hidden by the leather flap on the quarter panel side.
thanks for the info. i too have an '88'. just used to seeing u.s. cars from that era with the visible wires in the glass. when i got the car the hardtop was on and the pigtail was not connected. guess i'll have to wait until we have some frost to see if it works.
thanks again.

·
Registered
1981 380 SLC
149 Posts
The defrost wires in the glass are really thin, spaced close together and run vertically instead of the usual horizontal orange/tan colored ones you're used to seeing. I too thought that my glass had been replaced when I was looking at my SLC. You can really see the wires when you look close at the window in bright sunlight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
380SL diesel
1,275 Posts
The defrost wires in the glass are really thin, spaced close together and run vertically instead of the usual horizontal... You can really see the wires when you look close at the window in bright sunlight.
I was trying to figure out how the rear defroster works and couldn't see any wires. They are there, just very, very tiny and run vertically and are not straight.

Here's a macro image enhanced to show the wires

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts