Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm going to have my 83 300SD windows tinted with FormulaOne Pinnacle 50 all around and was wondering about the rear window defroster. Do I need to give the tinter any direction about avoiding the power connections when he cuts back the rear seal? I want to tell them to be agressive with the cut so when I change the rear seal in the future I don't have to worry about any gaps.

Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
230 Posts
the wires run off to a tab...

The wires are delicate, and do run to a "tab" that protrudes from one corner of the glass... find a online parts manual, as I am not familiar with where the tab is located on your glass.. yes, you don't want the installer cutting across that tab or you might damage the connection.. that connection in early '80's MB tends to collect some condensation/grunge, and I'd say if a rear defroster doesn't work about 1/5 of the time a disconnect/cleaning of the contact can restore operation.

On installing the tint... depends on how far you want to go. Fortunately the outside gasket is fairly burly, so not that hard for a good installer to edge it out right, however the size and curve of the glass can be a challenge (bubbles) for anything less than a top guy..

Selection of the rignt tint guy will be the key... if you don't know one, check around with a few local hi-line dealers or customizers and find out who they use for tint jobs...

I don't know if you will like that dark of tint on the side windows... staying darker on the rear, and using lighter on the sides, the darker on the rear will make lighter on the sides look as dark as the rear, especially on a dark color car...

Have fun with it...

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
A good friend of mine is one of the best installers in the area. He learned his techniques while in the OC when he lived there. After many years of watching his techniques, you should find a shop that can pre-shrink the back glass from a template that they make from the outside of the rear screen. This will be mirror image of the inside contour of the glass.

As long as the glass and gasket is cleaned to perfection, the gasket is the most important part so as not to let trash get under the film, they should be able to install a clean job for you.

Another trick is to use purified water with the solution so no sediments or minerals form under the film. If you see small "bubbles" under the film around the perimeter of the glass, then trash is under the film. They should be able to pre-shrink the film and only will need to do slight trimming of the film around the connectors.

A good job will run you around $200-$300 for the entire car since the rear glass is curved in 3 different angles.

Regards,

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fabbrisd said:
The wires are delicate, and do run to a "tab" that protrudes from one corner of the glass... find a online parts manual, as I am not familiar with where the tab is located on your glass.. yes, you don't want the installer cutting across that tab or you might damage the connection.. that connection in early '80's MB tends to collect some condensation/grunge, and I'd say if a rear defroster doesn't work about 1/5 of the time a disconnect/cleaning of the contact can restore operation.

On installing the tint... depends on how far you want to go. Fortunately the outside gasket is fairly burly, so not that hard for a good installer to edge it out right, however the size and curve of the glass can be a challenge (bubbles) for anything less than a top guy..

Selection of the rignt tint guy will be the key... if you don't know one, check around with a few local hi-line dealers or customizers and find out who they use for tint jobs...

I don't know if you will like that dark of tint on the side windows... staying darker on the rear, and using lighter on the sides, the darker on the rear will make lighter on the sides look as dark as the rear, especially on a dark color car...

Have fun with it...
Thanks for the reply! I just received the MBZ chassis manuals and haven't dug around in them about the windows. I hope the pictures are better than on the cd's. The Pinnacle guys are top notch and this is one of the best tints I could find. It's a ceramic instead of metal so I hope to keep any electronics happy inside the car that are looking for a signal outside like the cell or gps. The 50% is the lightest tint they make in the series. I'm not a "rapper" or "gangsta" and I actually don't mind people seeing me smile while driving my old Benz!

Roy

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
500MPL said:
A good friend of mine is one of the best installers in the area. He learned his techniques while in the OC when he lived there. After many years of watching his techniques, you should find a shop that can pre-shrink the back glass from a template that they make from the outside of the rear screen. This will be mirror image of the inside contour of the glass.

As long as the glass and gasket is cleaned to perfection, the gasket is the most important part so as not to let trash get under the film, they should be able to install a clean job for you.

Another trick is to use purified water with the solution so no sediments or minerals form under the film. If you see small "bubbles" under the film around the perimeter of the glass, then trash is under the film. They should be able to pre-shrink the film and only will need to do slight trimming of the film around the connectors.

A good job will run you around $200-$300 for the entire car since the rear glass is curved in 3 different angles.

Regards,
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to clean the all the glass and pull the rear shelf and door panels and moleskin the inner scrapers. I hope that cleaning the rear gasket several times prior to the tinter will make his job easier(read as better). I ran across one other ceramic tint that spec'ed slightly better than the Pinnacle but it was priced skyhigh. The Pinnacle is going to run about $360 USD for the rear and the six side windows.

Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts