Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear passenger side wheel is making screechy noises, i am assuming its the wheel bearing but in the haynes manual it does not talk about rear wheel bearings, only the front ones, so i was wanderin if someone knows about changin out the rear ones...thanks

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
First, make sure your e-brake isn't sticking. For that matter, check the regular brakes too.

The last thing you want to get into is the rear wheel bearings. Haynes probably doesn't mention it because it isn't anything you want to do. Obviously not impossible, since a mechanic should be able to do it (not just any mechanic, though). You're supposed to get a Mercedes mechanic because it involves special tools to press the bearings in at a certain pressure. It's expensive to have done but from what I hear, that is your best option.

·
Registered
81' 300D, 82 300TD
393 Posts
yeah get it checked by a couple of mechanics because i had to get it done and it cost about a grand cdn.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Check to see if the CV boots are leaking the grease out of the fittings. If the CV boot is leaking you'll see it and another way to check is to put one wheel up and spin it if to listen for grinding or driveline noises. If the bearing has to come apart and the axle has to be replaced it does get expensive.

·
Registered
V8 W123
398 Posts
Replacing the rear wheel bearing is not that hard, but you will need a special socket. It is available at performance products for about $50. The book does call for tolerances in the thousanths for preload. I guess I got lucky, because I "winged it", and have had no noise for over 5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts