Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 SE
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a wierd clunking in my right rear wheel assembly that has something to do with the wheel bearings. I want to replace them. Are there any special tools needed? I also need the procedure..Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Make sure what your problem is before diving into it. Replacing the rear wheel bearing is quite involved.
Check the "Z" sway bar link on that side.

·
Registered
380 SE
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a clunking that only happens at a certain wheel hub position. We put the car on a rack and localized the clunking vibration to the wheel hub mounting area and were able to exclude the outer CV joint as a source of the clunking...(The CV WOULD be where you would expect it to come from though, but not on this car..)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi All, I have a wierd clunking in my right rear wheel assembly that has something to do with the wheel bearings. I want to replace them. Are there any special tools needed? I also need the procedure..Thanks in advance...

This superb write up by Dmorrison for Rear Wheel Bearings Replacement would be applicable to your car.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
I'm going to do mine too when the weather warms up. Let us know how it works out and any problems you run into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone looking at selling/renting a 115 589 02 07 00 socket???

I'm undertaking this repair, along with rear spring/shock etc replacement..

Contact me quick-- or I'll be buying from 'ma benz, as I don't see another way to get one.. Can paypal immediately

·
Registered
4 Posts
Attention board members.. I've have the tool, and a bearing/race/seal set for sale, shortly after my '84 300SD is back on the road. :)

Thanks goofyguy! :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
To disassemble I took a 1/2 electric impact, along with the special socket to remove the nut. Of course you have to unpin the locking area but the impact made short work of removing it. I would not do that on the install but the impact simply makes it easier and less chance of damaging the socket.

·
Registered
1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
303 Posts
Had to revive this thread

To disassemble I took a 1/2 electric impact, along with the special socket to remove the nut. Of course you have to unpin the locking area but the impact made short work of removing it. I would not do that on the install but the impact simply makes it easier and less chance of damaging the socket.

Is it necessary to pack the outer bearing with grease?

It's not a sealed bearing so I thought it would be a good idea but the FSM does not mention anything about packing any of the bearings. The FSM states the following, "Fill cavity between the two bearing outer races in wheel carrier with specified multi-purpose grease." (FSM 35-360 Rear Axle Caliper Carrier)

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
On the rear wheel bearings you must pack the bearings with grease, use either a grease packing tool or if doing by hand work the grease in well< remainder in the cavity

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
If you need I have the homemade tightening tool, and will send it. Take a look at the pictures. Without something like this you just can't do it

·
Registered
1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
303 Posts
If you need I have the homemade tightening tool, and will send it. Take a look at the pictures. Without something like this you just can't do it
Where do I view the pictures? I was trying to PM you but I can't figure out how.

Reassembly will be a first for me so any advice is greatly appreciated.
I did not know there was a tightening tool.

The only special tool I have is the socket with tabs that I used to remove the grooved nut that holds the hub in place.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
Should be a sticky on how to do it with pics. I will try to find it later

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
its quite a lengthy job i did it with the trailing arm off and wasnt easy
getting the end play correct is very important as if you overtighten the crush washer the hub has to be removed gain and a new crush washer fitted wouldnt want to be doing that again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts