Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can purchase a grooved nut for the rear wheel bearing? I am getting tired of buying complete wheel bearing kits for one or two parts. I need to open up my rear hub and I do not intend to replace the wheel bearings. I know I will need to replace the grooved castle nut and the inner seal, but I want to buy the nut and seal separately to save some money. If anyone knows where I can buy these parts a la carte, please let me know!

·
Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
Are you sure that you need to replace the grooved nut? It should be reusable. I should think that if you are very careful and the seal is relatively new, you could reuse it as well.

What you will definitely need if you are pulling the bearing is the inner crush sleeve that deforms when you tighten the bearing tolerance. I was able to purchase those from the dealer. I suspect you will need to go there for the other parts as I've never seen them available individually online.

Why are you pulling the hub if the bearings are good?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
If you use the proper tool to remove the nut; the tool that you are going to need any way to Tighten it (along with a Dial Indicator) when you set the Wheel Hub end play.

Because of the Crush Sleeve/Ring that is used set the Wheel Hub end play gets pressed onto the Hub shaft a Slide Hammer or an Old Brake Rotor reversed on the Hub is used to beat the Hub out of the Housing.
When you do this it damages the Inner Bearing. So the Inner Bearing will have to be replaced.
Also you need to be careful removing the Hub as some places sell the new Rear Wheel Hubs for over $300.
I would do some searches and read up on the whole proceedure.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carpenterman/300Dman:

I have performed this job several times before. I actually just damaged a castle nut trying to get the axle shaft into the hub. I learned the hard way that you have to be gentle with the hub flange. When I removed the hub flange to replace the bearings I decided to bang it out with a sledge hammer, which warped the threaded end of the hub. I had to replace the hub. $340. Additionally, I spaced out whether or not I measured the correct amount of grease on the rear drivers side. I remember measuring the passenger side, but I guess since I was tired when I did the drivers side, I am not sure I put in enough grease. It keeps me up at night, so I want to open it to check. If you refer to the FSM job number 35-130 step number 25, it says to use a new slotted nut. I have noticed that when you use a drift and hammer to "unlock" the slotted nut from the hub, it deforms the nut. It might only be slight, but I do not feel comfortable driving my car like that. I will probably end up buying a whole wheel bearing kit, I just thought I could save myself some money if the parts were sold a la carte or if there was a "short" kit available. Also, I have never been able to remove and reuse and oil seal. I don't think it is possible or advisable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts