Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190D and an 87 300SDL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a topic a while back on the how to adjust the angle of the rear wheels, right now mine look sort of like \ / and I would like to get them fixed. Anyway I went threw about a years worth of posts and still couldn't find it. Could some one please point it out for me.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.3 Manual, '81 500SEL 4whl SLS, '91 300SEL
1,757 Posts
I saw a topic a while back on the how to adjust the angle of the rear wheels, right now mine look sort of like \ / and I would like to get them fixed. Anyway I went threw about a years worth of posts and still couldn't find it. Could some one please point it out for me.
Are you talking about the camber, or the toe? Camber would be the angle its at in relation to the vertical plane, if you were looking at it from behind toward the front of the car. Toe is along the horizontal plane, and would be if you were looking down from a bird's eye view.

I don't think the rear suspension can be adjusted from the factory on these cars, at least alignment shops say it can't. If your springs are sagging, then they may need replaced. I think there is a factory replacement that allows you to have an eccentric bolt on the camber link for the suspension, but I'm not positive.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
You have positive camber, have you recently installed new rear shocks? You usually get negative camber from lowering a car... that's why I'm asking, new shocks that may have raised the ride height may give you positive camber. Just a thought.

In the picture (center with the wet spots) is the camber arm, not adjustable. I know there's adjustable camber arms out there for the 201 but I don't think they were ever stock.

Start searching for adjusting camber, there were many topics on it here and the other 201 sites.

·
Registered
1985 190D and an 87 300SDL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that should do it, right now my rear looks like it is on its tippy toes as daughter puts it. When I had 250 lbs in the trunk it looked ok, but without the extra weight, up it goes.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC, 1986 190E 2.3
149 Posts
Does anybody know about toe-in on the rear wheels? Mine looks like they're pointing inward towards the gearshifter. I doubt that's benficial to performance and economy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Typically the rear toe-in would be around 15 minutes, not sure what that is in old money but that's what we work off.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
You have positive camber, have you recently installed new rear shocks? You usually get negative camber from lowering a car... that's why I'm asking, new shocks that may have raised the ride height may give you positive camber. Just a thought.

In the picture (center with the wet spots) is the camber arm, not adjustable. I know there's adjustable camber arms out there for the 201 but I don't think they were ever stock.

Start searching for adjusting camber, there were many topics on it here and the other 201 sites.
Hmmm that picture looks familiar.

Thats my rusty camber arm! I updated it with a nicer unit.

Only cost about $80-90. Last weekend I switched out the bushings. I didnt lubricate them when I first installed them..Make sure you lubricate the bushings and all that stuff!. I also ditched the triple-square bolts in favor of stainless steel hex head. SO MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Hmmm that picture looks familiar.

Thats my rusty camber arm! I updated it with a nicer unit.

Only cost about $80-90. Last weekend I switched out the bushings. I didnt lubricate them when I first installed them..Make sure you lubricate the bushings and all that stuff!. I also ditched the triple-square bolts in favor of stainless steel hex head. SO MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH.
where did you get the parts? Did you do an alignment and see if it can change your camber? I imagine you only need this when you lower your car which i am going to do soon so im wondering what kind of upgrades i will need to do to be able to do alignment with the car lowered.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC, 1986 190E 2.3
149 Posts
You can get all the parts at SpeedWayMotors.com.

There's an excellent thread on the Rev about building them and some great info about camber and lowering.

I've linked to the post that has the parts list but you should read the whole thread: DIY adjustable rear camber

They're easy to build and install but remember, like Mr. Dean said, to lube them up well.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You can get all the parts at SpeedWayMotors.com.

There's an excellent thread on the Rev about building them and some great info about camber and lowering.

I've linked to the post that has the parts list but you should read the whole thread: DIY adjustable rear camber

They're easy to build and install but remember, like Mr. Dean said, to lube them up well.
Yes, sorry I meant to reply to this thread but I got otherwise tied up with 190E/300D repair work. All the parts are available at Speedwaymotors.com, I have a post on here that showed my cart at checkout. 16vlv started this whole thing on 190Rev. Thanks to his work I now have nice, non-squeaky rear camber arms that did not cost an arm and a leg..

Be sure you lube up everything. I put white lithium grease in the eyes of the ends, in the bushings, and on the washers too.

I've also got another set of bushings in case they are ever needed. Two replacement sets were only $24.

I would also recommend going to your local hardware store and buying some nice metric stainless steel bolts/nuts. When I installed mine, I also replaced all the other rear links with a Meyle kit that came with these stupid triple square headed bolts. Such a pain in the ass to get. Frustrating.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Yes, sorry I meant to reply to this thread but I got otherwise tied up with 190E/300D repair work. All the parts are available at Speedwaymotors.com, I have a post on here that showed my cart at checkout. 16vlv started this whole thing on 190Rev. Thanks to his work I now have nice, non-squeaky rear camber arms that did not cost an arm and a leg..

Be sure you lube up everything. I put white lithium grease in the eyes of the ends, in the bushings, and on the washers too.

I've also got another set of bushings in case they are ever needed. Two replacement sets were only $24.

I would also recommend going to your local hardware store and buying some nice metric stainless steel bolts/nuts. When I installed mine, I also replaced all the other rear links with a Meyle kit that came with these stupid triple square headed bolts. Such a pain in the ass to get. Frustrating.
nice what about the front? when i buy lowering springs, how do i adjust the front camber?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
nice what about the front? when i buy lowering springs, how do i adjust the front camber?
That I'm not sure of. I am aware that there are camber plates that go on top of the shock mounts but I've never had any thing like that. My 190E is lowered.

Here was my alignment after I installed the rears:
http://i.imgur.com/A6H3d.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts