Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1980 450SL; 1984 500SEC Euro; 1991 560 SEC
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarassing after removing almost the entire interior I am stumped on removing the rear view mirror which I assume is needed to finish removing the headliner. I have company coming for dinner in half an hour and am loath to not have this completed. Any tips greatly appreciated.

On a side note I removed my seat belt presenters and was suprised by what I found. This is from an 85 500 SEC, does this picture show that it had the gears swapped?? I was expecting white plastic gears.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
The inside rear view mirror is easy to remove. Simply grasp the shaft (not the mirror itself) firmly and pull down and forward a bit. It's designed to give way in an accident.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
Thanks!! Headliner is out and company has arrived, love this forum.
Now do I want to remove the entire sunroof assembly or just select parts?
Will depend on my motivation after dinner or tomorrow I guess, goal is to have the car out by tomorrow or tuesday latest.

Again thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,563 Posts
As far as I know early (gen1) cars had metal, later models had plastic gears. My 82 and 84 both had metal gears. My friend's 88 had plastic gears, -which over the years got grinded off. Replaced it with one with metal gears.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the note on the gears. When blue bird, 84 Euro SEC, gets back from paint I will begin work on the interior. One thing that was not working was the passenger side seat belt presenter, motor runs but it does not present so I assumed it was a problem with the plastic gear I had read about but not studied.

Now I can't wait to see what is causing it, especially since I most likely have an easy swap but it would be nice to be able to get it operational and have a spare set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts