Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300TE 280,000 Miles
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 88 300TE. Went to the junk yard and found a interior rearview mirror from a 400 or 500 series. Figured I could grind a little on it and make it work. Well, it didn't. So I pulled the mount off. So I have the mirror loose in my hand. I would like to mount it on my mount. My mirror is cracked.

So I lubed it up a little and tried to reseat it back on it's mount as a test. I cannot get it back in that socket. Glad I didn't pull mine loose!

Gonna try a hair dryer next to soften up the plastic a little.

Just was wondering if anyone had a trick for this, or had done it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
good luck...

Remeber those are safety items, designed to fail so it doesn't get stuck your head during an accident(break away stuff).

When I needed one, I think I shelled out about $55 and got a new one at the dealership. Plastic seemed to be breaking down on mine- and the frame cracked.

If that's rich for ya- go back and find a W124 chassis from 86-89 and grab a mirror.

Michael

·
Registered
1988 300TE 280,000 Miles
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good luck...

Remeber those are safety items, designed to fail so it doesn't get stuck your head during an accident(break away stuff).

When I needed one, I think I shelled out about $55 and got a new one at the dealership. Plastic seemed to be breaking down on mine- and the frame cracked.

If that's rich for ya- go back and find a W124 chassis from 86-89 and grab a mirror.

Michael
I found one in a Junk yard but it wouldn't quite make it despite a little time on the grinder... Don't know why, it looked like it should have worked.

The ones on Ebay at $69 + shipping.

Local Junk yards are devoid of them for some reason.

However, back to my original question, I guess nobody has remounted the mirror on the ball?

My other options I understand.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
I don't exactly know what you mean here, but if you removed the mirror and the base as one assembly you're going to have to give the whole mirror base a huge thud in order to get it back into its place. I removed the mirror on my coupe 3 or 4 times and it didn't get easier to put it back in. If you got the mirror from a W126, it should be similar, if not the same as the one in your 124.

Just takes a lot of effort.

As for removing the actual mirror from the base, I don't know - I've never done it. One of these days I'm going to go to the junkyard to find out if I can, because I want to do a few mods to my coupe along the lines of auto dim and a few other things.

·
Registered
1988 300TE 280,000 Miles
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will have to lay the mirror flat and put some heavy force into popping the ball back into the socket. It can be done.

Does a auto dimming mirror with Homelink and a compass sound better though?

Mercedes Auto dimming mirrors with Homelink & Compass

YesI know, a shameless plug ;-)
Nice mirrors you have there for sure.

But alas too rich for my blood. Got so many other maintenance issues that need addressing.

I put it flat on my bench and leaned on it pretty fiercely, but no go. Felt I was going to break it.

If you say it's possible, good to know. That means a little heat might help it ease in. I wanted to practice on the donor before pulling apart my original. The original is cracked but functional. It's the frame that is cracked. I think the seat smacked it when I was re-installing the driver's seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts