Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 C230 and I was trying to re-assemble the rearview mirror. Does anyone have a schematic of how the two clips and the pins are positioned inside the mirror? I have no idea of how to assemble it!!<br> <br> Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm… Why did you take it apart? Was it loose and rattling like my 1998 C230’s rear view mirror? How many miles on you Benz? If under 50k, it will be covered under the warranty if it… fell apart… I had to put my mirror back together with out those little clips and to keep it from rattling around I stuffed it with the folded pieces of newspaper mostly to the rear part of the mirror interior – sounds corny, I know, but it worked. If I did not have the warranty, it would still be stuffed wit the newspaper – it did not affect the sensor in any way… Dealership said that it is not uncommon problem with this model.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.. The car has 41K miles however it is out of the warranty since 9/01. I didn't mean to take it apart, it just fell apart.. They want $430 for a new one at the dealer. The only piece that is broken is the front plastic piece but I superglued it back together. They don't sell the plastic piece alone you need to buy the ENTIRE mirror assembly. I LOVE YOU MB!.. When I took off the piece to superglue it, the entire mirror came apart.. Any ideas on where the pins and clips go and how they are aligned?<br> <br> Next step is to take to a mercedes mechanic.<br> <br> Thanks<br> <br> Julian

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Julian, <br> <br> Which plastic piece is broken? From what I remember, there is a front black plastic trim (where the actual mirror is inserted, the membrane that goes in between, the rear solid plastic cover trim with the opening on the top and 2 clips, is that correct?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The piece that snapped is the front plastic piece that snaps on to the rear solid plastic piece. I successfully glued it together today.. Additionally, I called up an MB mechanic and he tells me that he would charge me 1.5 hours of labor to re-assemble the mirror assembly. I decided that I was not going to pay $80/hour for this guy to do install the clips and pins back in. So I went to Target and got a pack of Scotch Heavy Duty Mounting Squares (double sided). I put 5 squares on the back of the mirror and proceeded to stick it on to where the mirror attaches to the actual car (the part that moves and allows you to adjust the mirror). I pressed it firmly and assembled the back plastic piece and the front piece and VOILA!! done.. Total cost $1.99 for the mounting squares. <br> I am really disappointed with the crap quality of the mirror and the way that it assembles so poorly. I had a Honda at one time and the mirror broke. I remember it being very simple to fix not brain surgery like this seemed to be. <br> <br> I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI, I have been strugling with the same prob, i have a 1993 400 sel and i heard some rattling so i took it apart and shure enough the clips on the front side that attach the mirro to the bracket and front piece of the assembly where brocken and the metal pieces that act as holders were loose. I glued them but the broke once the tension of the steel pieces was applied. I glued them again and bent the steel piece sot that it didnt give so much tension and it worked. I cant believe that they wont sell me just the housing at the dealership. They are crooooooks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts