Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running wider than 225 on the stock 16" wheel?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
This is what's available in 245/45YR16 at Tire Rack:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position.... $200.
Dunlop SP Sport 9000........................... $160.
Michelin Pilot Sport............................... $211.
Yokohama AVS Sport............................ $141.
Avon Tech M500.................................. $104.
Bridgestone Potenza RE750.................... $129.
Continental ContiSportContact............... $146.
Fuzion ZRi........................................... $82.
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus.................. $161.
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712........................ $96.

They should all fit with no problem.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
4 Posts
I had asked this same question a few weeks ago, and thanks to the great advice in got, I mounted the Avon Tech 225/50/16 in front and 245/45/16 in back last week on the stock 320 non-sport wheels and no problems so far.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce, Thanks for posting that.

I run the Yokohama AVS Sport tires.

Ill go with the 245/45's.

Boogie do you have a pic from the rear?
Can you post one?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
boogie - 4/18/2005 5:06 PM

I had asked this same question a few weeks ago, and thanks to the great advice in got, I mounted the Avon Tech 225/50/16 in front and 245/45/16 in back last week on the stock 320 non-sport wheels and no problems so far.
I'd like to see a picture of what the 245s look like from the rear, too. Please post one if you get the chance.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Next will we have to start referencing the bonnet and the boot as well? [:D][:D][:D] And they say it's the same language!

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the 245/45's today and will post a pic next week when they are mounted.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
16falcon - 4/20/2005 5:14 PM

Next will we have to start referencing the bonnet and the boot as well? [:D][:D][:D] And they say it's the same language!
Boot & Petrol are better than Trunk & Gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
430 - 4/23/2005 11:12 PM

16falcon - 4/20/2005 5:14 PM

Boot & Petrol are better than Trunk & Gas.
[:)] Bonnet is cute and dainty
[xx(] hood is dark and manacing lol

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
How to speak Texan in a few easy mis-steps =

tires - tyres -- tars , as in " em big tars shore do luck good onna back o yore caah".

Windshield - windscreen - frunt glass = as in "yore frunt glass shore got cover'd with bugs las nite when U yuz drivin home".

Oil = all ===as in "ain't cha gonna put sum all in yore injun, as it is down rite near 2 quart".

air = are(R) == tha stuff ya fill yore tars up with..ya are(R) up a tar when it's low.....

Top or bonnet = TUP --puchha tup up, it's gonna rain.
(although bonnet offen times refers to a caah hood- as in injun cover).

fuel - petrol -- ya fillup yore tank with gaslean
....reg-lar er Ethel..are two differt grades o "fuel" er gaslean

diesel - de-sell - whut truks 'N' sum Mercy-Dees run on.

engine - injun --whut pushes yore caah rite down th road.

transmission -- prounced - TRANS-mish-shun

differential -- rear end -- as in whut rear end gears yo gonna run fer next week-N's race
---or "yer rear end is leakin grease all over tha drive-a-way"

Regards

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I think that I'm going to order the Dunlop Sport Maxx for my 32 today. All I can do is hope that they're nice tires because they're brand new. I found one review that said the F1s picked up all the stones on the road and scratched up his car pretty bad in the hip. He sounded pretty objective, he loved the performance part of the tire and said it was smooth. He's now using the Dunlop Sport Maxx and he said they're nice and quiet, sticky and corner well. So, I'll give em a shot.

Wish me luck!

JB

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I think that I'm going to order the Dunlop Sport Maxx for my 32 today. All I can do is hope that they're nice tires because they're brand new. I found one review that said the F1s picked up all the stones on the road and scratched up his car pretty bad in the hip. He sounded pretty objective, he loved the performance part of the tire and said it was smooth. He's now using the Dunlop Sport Maxx and he said they're nice and quiet, sticky and corner well. So, I'll give em a shot.

Wish me luck!

JB

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts

Wish me luck!

JB

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Let us know what you think about the tires. I have been putting off the tire purchase I need to make.

Still leaning towards the PS2's, but considering Falken Azenis RT-615's and the new Toyo T1R's.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I went with nitto 555s on mine. they're a little loud but not bad. I actually like them better than the stock Pirellis b/c they were bad about flat spotting when sitting around for a day or 2.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
JB,

I've been running F1s on my 32 for a couple of months. Yes, they do pick up a lot of rocks if you take them on gravel driveways. They do flat spot a little when setting overnight, but round out in the first couple of minutes of driving. Other than that, they are much quieter than the stock Contis. Traction is fantastic! It is hard to break traction even with the ESP off. Great wet traction also. I hope this helps, I wish I had some more objective information for you.

Billy Ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts