Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am a new ML 2002 320 owner- and I have the car just 2 months with 16000 miles on it- I bought the car from a MB dealership-

I now hear rear tailgate noise- ( I think that is what it is) the car shakes and rattles so badly over bumps that it feels cheap and not the heavy sturdy car Id expect- I do enjoy the car, looks and the brand new navi I had instaled by MB- BUT does the 2002 qualify under the TSB Rear Tailgate adjustment for the tailgate noise? (In addition I have that electronic noise coming from the fan in the fuse box) Since I have to have that fixed under warranty I am wondering if the dealership can fix any other KNOWN issues while its in for service-

Particulary the noisy tailgate

Kinda pissed I have to bring this in for service just 2months in

Comments appreciated

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
Usually with rattling sounds there are 2 easy things to check first before getting to excited.

Make sure there aren't things in the door pockets that can rattle around and make noise. Some people put self stick felt in the bottom to alleviate this.

second it's possible that the tailgate is loose. This can be tightened by you and a trusty screw driver. There are instructions for this if you do a search with pictures too I'm sure. Briefly you can goto the trunk grab the trunk handle and see if you can jiggle the trunk. If it moves when you do that it definitely needs tightening. open trunk and about halfway up on each side there is a round rubber topped screw (about the size of a roll of quarters, 1 per each side). Give it a turn or 2 and close trunk. At some point it'll thunk shut or the screw will fall out. You can always put some self stick rubber stopper or felt to help and prevent scratches. These rubber stoppers are responsible for preventing the rattle.

If all this fails it's also possible that the trunk lock needs to be replaced.

I've also seen the dealer fix of this is just some self stick felt around the post of the anchor where the trunk attaches to the door frame. simple/effective/will need to be redone like every year.

Anyway, it's under warranty and you can also just complain and have them fix it. Just be insistent yet polite until they take care of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts