Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of your guys partial to the centre piece infill look on the rear tail-lights.
For the black 560SEC which iam going to restore this year i have sourced a new set opf rear tail-lights and thinking about the matching red centre piece.

What are your thoughts on this look for a 040 black SEC??

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,587 Posts
I thought it looked amazing when I first saw it in the eighties

Now whenever I see it the car looks tacky and dated...might look right on some w126s but not all

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
Funny that this came up tonight, I just saw them for sale (awful expensive at over $100!)
I first remember these alongside sheepskin seat covers advertised by Beverley Hills Motoring Accessories - Are those guys even around anymore?
I have to agree with Tusabes that the filler may be a tad dated - just my opinion, fwiw.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,443 Posts
Heh, that Volvo thing made me chuckle the first time around. I think it was Ross that said it when i fitted mine. Its possibly true, they are very period 80's though i thought. Liked mine, but got bored of it and sold it recently. Unfortunately it got smashed in the post, how annoying is that. They're not very common.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
BHMA

Funny that this came up tonight, I just saw them for sale (awful expensive at over $100!)
I first remember these alongside sheepskin seat covers advertised by Beverley Hills Motoring Accessories - Are those guys even around anymore?

No.

But BHMA used to be an authorised AMG dealer back in the day, and in the 1980's was the biggest one on the whole West coast.

By 1997 they had downsized considerably and were just an multiline exotics accessories dealer. They had nthing much for Mecedes Benz specifically to sell. They were at 300 South Robertson in BH, back then, and I went in there and purchased a really good trunk organizer for my coupe, which is still in the car today.

They have been out of business since the last century - for a long time.

·
Banned
a device that is designed or used to transport people or cargo.
14,116 Posts
Any of your guys partial to the centre piece infill look on the rear tail-lights.
For the black 560SEC which iam going to restore this year i have sourced a new set opf rear tail-lights and thinking about the matching red centre piece.
Noob question ... what is that? got a pic?

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
That depends on the manufacturer...

I think these look great on darker cars; I've had factory versions on Volvo and SAAB products back in the day and I recall the OEM Volvo units not fading much if at all. The SAAB parts were prone both to fading and to having the adhesive that secures the reflective backing to the plastic "lens" dry out, both of which contributed to poor overall appearance. It is all about the quality of manufacture. I have no idea if there was ever a dealer-optional part as such made by MB (Volvo and SAAB both did have dealer-optional parts as well as several aftermarket sources) but if there was, I bet it would run you far more than the FCP part. I'd gamble at that price if you like the look. Thinking about it myself.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
I was on the fence, until about four minutes ago, when I remembered a car I have stashed away for my daughter.
You guys remember the Lebaron GTC convertables?
THAT'S what these pieces remind me of!!
And yup, on a darker car I think this would fly for some weird optical reason.
Until I change my mind again, sorry - count me out for the tail light filler!

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Go dark

Now whenever I see it the car looks tacky and dated...might look right on some w126s but not all
On an example like this, I think it ties the tail-end together rather nicely:

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
I think it looks really good on the "Midnight Blue" and 040 Black cars. Check out this 300SEL that has it. Looks pretty good. :)

I'm not sure about the tannish colored SEC with it though.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,443 Posts
Wow, didnt know you could buy them new. Mine was an old one, bought from German ebay. Hadnt faded at all really and polished up well.

·
Registered
1983 500SEC
87 Posts
Here's different kind of panel. It is white and has light bulbs in it and lights up. It is on a car that I'm parting out if anyone is interested. $100 for the panel. I'm starting a new thread on the entire car.

Attachments

·
Banned
a device that is designed or used to transport people or cargo.
14,116 Posts
Here's different kind of panel. It is white and has light bulbs in it and lights up. It is on a car that I'm parting out if anyone is interested. $100 for the panel. I'm starting a new thread on the entire car.
see where that plate is located ... now that's what I'm talkin about!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts