Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having these weird noises coming from the rear suspension, I did a search on the forum, and it seems like the problem is either between the sway bar being loose, or the bushing is worn out, either way all posts seem to suggest to bring to the dealer. The problem is, my warranty is over, and I definitely do not want to pay an arm or a leg for this service, did anyone happen to fix this problem by themselves, or know of how easy it is to fix? Thanks.

Sam

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
To change the rear bushings, jack up the rear of the car and support with jack stands. There are two brackets with bushings holding the sway bar in place. Remove the two bolts from each bracket and then the brackets. The bushings are rubber and are split so slip them off the bar. Slip the new ones on, replace the brackets, tighten the bolts and lower the car. Check with wherever you buy the new bushings for the proper lubricant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks a lot Lynn (I had a feeling you would respond to my post), besides the dealer, is there anywhere else that would sell this? Would you happen to know the part number?

The sound I am hearing is like a spring compressing, I guess it's like "ig ig ig ig" at a relatively quick pace.

Thanks for responding.

Sam

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Yea I am hearing the SAMMMEE exact thing, just like a spring compressing.. Has been going on for months.. it is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Lynn - 4/6/2005 7:56 PM

To change the rear bushings, jack up the rear of the car and support with jack stands. There are two brackets with bushings holding the sway bar in place. Remove the two bolts from each bracket and then the brackets. The bushings are rubber and are split so slip them off the bar. Slip the new ones on, replace the brackets, tighten the bolts and lower the car. Check with wherever you buy the new bushings for the proper lubricant.
There was a bulletin that came out stating that the original lubricant used in the assembly of the sway bars and main suspension components was easily worn away. My mechanic did the front and several years later the rear went the same way.

The new lubricant is so thick that they use gloves to put it on otherwise it would take them an hours to wash their hands. I saw the goop - it was really thick.

I would agree with Lynn. But with the sway bar down I would be so tempted to just put in the AMG bar instead. Why waste an excuse !!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MIROJ, would you happen to know what lubricant they used? Thanks for replying.

EVAN, hope we both can get rid of this problem, because it is extremely annoying, sometimes when i pull a corner, it makes the noise too.

sam

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
The only thing i noticed was on my rear passenger shock, there is a rubbing occuring somwhere behind the sleeve, and is causing some minor surface rust.. damn new england winters and roads lol.... I checked my rear sway bar and bushings and really didnt seem to look worn out at all.. Applying some of this lubricant could possibly stop this? I notice the noise happening most when hitting a bump around a corner. driving me nuttsss!!

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
gqxchinkx9o9 - 4/7/2005 3:17 PM

MIROJ, would you happen to know what lubricant they used? Thanks for replying.

EVAN, hope we both can get rid of this problem, because it is extremely annoying, sometimes when i pull a corner, it makes the noise too.

sam
All I know about Australia - where there is no snow to speak of - is that we use a specific grease for the hot and dry conditions. I seem to recall it was extremely viscous, moreso than any paste or common product.

From what I was told when they did the front end they dismantled and cleaned everything and started again with the lubrication process.

If I find out then I will try to post it.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
I found out what the lubricant is.

It turns out they use GRAPHITE impregnated lubricant which comes in a super thick black paste.

I am sure there is more than one type but I realise now that it is totally logical to use such a product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm hearing the same noise, and also clunking or rattling noise when going over small bumps. I'm taking it in the dealer next week since it's still under warranty.
My purge valve is also making the ticking noise, but the dealer says it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it. Anyone else think it's normal?
My ESP, BAS, and ABS warning came one one snowy day, and my key doesn't release sometimes. I'm getting all this checked next week.
Anyone else have same issues?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts