Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 S600 Lorinser
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

My s600 has a rough ride in the back end of it. Any bumps I encounter cause the back end to hop rather than to absorb them. I have been trying to dig through the archives but have not had a bunch of success. this is what I have been able to figure out...

- The s600 comes with the load levelling suspension.
- Some have said that is also comes stock with ADS however I do not have an ADS button on my dash (litle strut picture or otherwise) - so am I correct in assuming that I do not have ADS?

In reading one post, it sounds as though my symptoms may be due to failed rear accumulators (or spheres I have heard them referred to). I have not detected any leaks from the rear struts so I am assuming that they are not the cause. Would this be a logical conclusion? I want to get the car back to it's former glory and riding beautifully. Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Rob

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Very likely failed accumulators. You have the classic symptom. Replace the accumulators first and see if that does it.

As for your car and ADS, I don't know if all ADS versions had a dash button. You might try punching your VIN into the Russian VIN decoding site and seeing if there is mention of ADS as an option on your car. You can also have a look at your struts/dampers and see if they have the solenoid valve attached to them.

Brett

·
Registered
1993 S600 Lorinser
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the quick response! I will order up those accumulators then - preventative medicine if not the cure.

As for the solenoid valve - where would I fin that? Is it on the strut body or somewhere else? I wonder how ADS would work without a toggle to change it? Would it somehow be linked to the 'E/S' switch next to the shifter perhaps?

·
Registered
91 600SEL
304 Posts
save yourself time and money and swap out the sls for Blistens and new springs. I just finished mine so I can give you all the part numbers needed if you go that route..

·
Registered
1993 S600 Lorinser
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey South - how are you?!

I have a full set of bilsteins on the way as we speak. The car was lowered by Lorinser so I am hopeful that I can jsut use those spings and be done with the whole thing. I bought accumulators today too incase I decide to go that route.

How is the ride after doing all of that? I assume that you just capped off all the lines?

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
1963 220 SE Coupe
16 Posts
It diffently sounds like the accumulators. I went threw the same thing when I first bought mine. But years down the road when I needed rear shocks I switched over to Blistens with H&R springs and I wish I would of done it a lot sooner.

Since it's a 600 you would have to have your mech. plug the rear hydraulic lines. End result will lower your car almost 2 inches and give you more of a sporty feel. Converting everthing still cost less then two rear shocks.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Accumulators, under $100 each, 1.5 hrs labor, oil. Its a messy job, what you have is spheres with a diaphram across it, one one side is nitrogen, the other side oil from the engine mounted pump tied to the strut, controlled by a valve on the rear axle. As the accumulators fail the nitrogen can not be compressed the hydraulic strut (shock) becomes uncompressable. On the 600 there is an additional valve which controls the oil flow, giving you comfot or sport settings, and a similar valve attached directlt to the front shocks, but no level control. I would have someone who understands the system look at it, removing the system is probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
1993 S600 Lorinser
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. The one thing I am confused on is the sport and comfort settings - where do you adjust that? I do not have the ADS button with the strut picture on it on my dash. Is there some other switch that would control that? Does the E/S switch next to the gear selector have anything to do with that? If not, then I am skeptical that I have the adjustable ride comfort unless I am missing something.

I looked up my VIN on the Russian decoder and there is no code listed against my car for anything to do with ADS.

The way I am seeing it now, if I don't have some sort of ADS then I will probably go Bilstein all around and be done with hydraulic system. If I do have it then I may entertain going down the new accumulator route.

·
Registered
91 600SEL
304 Posts
Rob,
Take a look at your rear shock towers (inside the trunk) If there are electrical plugs attached to the top of the shocks then you have ads if not then your good to go!
I actually converted everything because the new 22" rims needed a bit more room but now the car rides too high for my tastes with stock suspension, so I will be cutting a coil today. I will let you know the ride once this rain/snow clears up but from what I have heard the swap is the best way to go!!

·
Registered
1993 S600 Lorinser
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey South,

I'll have a look tonight when I get home. I am definintely leaning towards disabling the whole system - I have gone through the same grief on one of my Alpinas and just went the Bilstein route. These ride ammenities are wonderful when they work and aweful when they don't.

Question for you on your 600sel - did it have the connectors on the top of your struts? If so, did you have a separate ADS swtich on your dash with the strut picture?

Let me know how you make out with the coils - curious to hear how that goes. I can't believe there is a heavy snowfall warning today. May in Calgary - gotta love it...

·
Registered
91 600SEL
304 Posts
I was worried mine had ads cause I have the button on my dash, but when I physically checked I found I didnt have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts