Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this winter I plan to replace the trailing arm bushing, and if possible I will also remove the sub-frame. Then do some good cleaning and rust proof underneath the body.

I did some research on those forums. But I did not find any good details to disassemble the E Brake cable.

Can anyone advise this ?

Also Can I use 2 tires on each side laying underneath as support? No idea which area can I use to support the car if I remove the diff and sub-frame mount? I am thinking to put them close to sub frame mount area.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi!

Wind the adjusting bolt out and unhang the cables from that 'balancer' thingy. Then pull the securing clips holding the cable to the body and pull cable through the rubber sleeve.

Disconnect the prop shaft from the diff. Remove exhaust.

With SLS: Unhang the lever from the sway bar and either unscrew the two clamps holding the bar to the body or disconnect the sway bar from the hubs/trailing arms.

Then loosen the 4 bolts from the tabs between body & front rear subframe bearing.

And then - if all goes well, loosen (don't remove yet) the two big 15/16" bolts. Then the four holding the diff to the body. At this point, put a jack under the differential! If the four bolts are removed, slowly lower the jack. Now the subframe comes down and the springs fall out... Then the two big bolts (15/16").

If you'r lucky, they turn. If not - be prepared to tear the big rubber bearing appart! I did it just yesterday, and I had to use excessive force even with a 2 meter extension! :D

But - it's good to replace these two bearings anyway, they are usually more worn then the trailing arm bushes. And improve the ride quite a bit :) Also add new bolts, if the bearing's are rusted solid to the bolts.

It's a good call to remove the subframe, or at least drop the rear to access the bolts of the trailing arms. Hmmmm... I don't know if it's even possible to reach all of them 'in situ'... The outer bolts are on top of the subframe (lousy picture, sorry for that...)

I supported the car right below the jacking points on axle stands. But it's a breaker anyway. However, use something to spread the load a bit. Tyres are not high enough to drop the subframe sufficiently to remove it, I woud guess. And axle stands are a good investment anyway. :)

It's also a good idea to remove the plates behind the brake discs, as they'r easy bent when the subframe drops to the ground...

All in all, removing the rear subframe is quite straight forward. But mind, it weighs a ton...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information.

My jack points have some rust, so it is a little uncomfortable to put jack stand over there.

I think two tires on one side, should have enough clearance for sub-frame.

Would like to know if it easy to put the sub frame back and align the two big holes for sub frame mount bolts?

·
Registered
435 Posts

My jack points have some rust, so it is a little uncomfortable to put jack stand over there.

Would like to know if it easy to put the sub frame back and align the two big holes for sub frame mount bolts?
I'll tell you tomorrow night. I'm waiting for the POR15 to dry and my subframe will hopefully go back in tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
435 Posts

I forgot to get back to you on this.

Yes it's decently easy. Just get three jacks, a few blocks of wood and alot of patience. As long as the two subframe bolts gets aligned and partially threaded the diff bolts line up pretty easily.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to get back to you on this.

Yes it's decently easy. Just get three jacks, a few blocks of wood and alot of patience. As long as the two subframe bolts gets aligned and partially threaded the diff bolts line up pretty easily.
Thank you for response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts