Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a power rear sunshade to put in my 93 500SEL. I am worried it may not be possible since I don't have one in the vehicle now, and there is no room for a switch on my dash. I would also like to purchase the sunshades which go in the rear doors and cover the windows (much like the new Lexus LS430, and newer W140s).
If anyone knows where I can purchase either of these rear sunshades, post it up! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like one!
Thanks Very Much!!

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
With money you can do anything, The rear shelf lining has to be replaced in addition to purchasing the shade portion. you are somewhat in luck due to the fact that you do have a two piece console panel, so you can replace the upper portion with a additional hole, I dont know if the wire is there. There was someone who did it and cut a hole with a dremel tool. I dont think the ere were any side shades ever available. There was some talk about an aftermarket kit, for the rear but have never seen it in the US. It would be a big task, considering taking out the rear seat back to get to the package tray!

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am located in Pittsburgh, PA. I am going to talk to my mechanic this week about the ease of putting one in. What does yours include and how much are you asking?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
You might ask ASIANBOND if he has one for sale .. he is in NJ.. better than over here but.. I will get a price for you .. and post it here..

·
Registered
1995 S500
7 Posts
Because I'm a hopeless optimist, anything is possible... but I see SO many obstacles in this.

I wanted to do the same on the previous '96 S500 w/o rear sunblind. It was easier to just dump it and get the '95 that I wanted in the first place (with All of the toys). I found the rear side sunblinds from a breaker in Germany. They are built in and pull up from the top edge door panel and hook at the window frame. The panels were from a late w140 LWB so the design (armrest) would be different than yours. With the exchange rate, they were around $1280 + crating and shipping. They were black. I found them in a Google search, you may want to try that if the price and exchange rate don't make you want to curl up in the fetal position.

I'm cheap, so I just went with a darker window tint in the rear windows. This unique edition car that they were parting also had the twin rear 2-tone buckets with wood console between and tables that folded out on both sides (like in an airplane), but were burlwood. I appreciate them much more after seeing the prices of the rear seatback mounted tray tables. Damn, I'm cheap...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
As mentioned before, to install a rear electric sunshade on your W140, if not factory fitted with one, you also have to change the rear shelf.

The cars do not come factory pre-wired for this feature, so you must do all the wiring too.

The location for the switch at the front panel is not complicated, if your car did not came factory equipped with the shade, you lower wood center piece, just behind the transmission lever, should have the proper cut-out (just lift it and check behind it).

For the rear side shades, there are actually original factory accessories. You can order them using the following part numbers:

Left side:
Short wheelbase: B6 669 1189
Long wheelbase: B6 669 1191

Right side:
Short wheelbase: B6 669 1188
Long wheelbase: B6 669 1190

I have them on my car, they are great looking, fit perfectly and work wonderfully. The frame even comes with a couple of small star logos on it.
The should be about $150 for each. Ask an authorized dealer for them, they should be able to order them from the part numbers provided above.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If you need bits new I can get them for much less then the dealer. The above shades are 110 as opposed to 150.. I just supplied a friend in Boston w/ the shades and he is Most pleased with the results.

Fitting a rear power shade is a bit of task, but it is achievable. It has been done w/ the 126's fairly frequently.

Jonathan

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
dantefr - 4/4/2005 3:44 PM

I am located in Pittsburgh, PA. I am going to talk to my mechanic this week about the ease of putting one in. What does yours include and how much are you asking?
Ok go here find what you need let me know I will talk to the owner and see what we can do

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/CarModels.asp?P=Accessories

·
Registered
1997 E320; 1996 S320
43 Posts
S500L - 4/17/2005 6:35 PM

As mentioned before, to install a rear electric sunshade on your W140, if not factory fitted with one, you also have to change the rear shelf.

The cars do not come factory pre-wired for this feature, so you must do all the wiring too.

The location for the switch at the front panel is not complicated, if your car did not came factory equipped with the shade, you lower wood center piece, just behind the transmission lever, should have the proper cut-out (just lift it and check behind it).

For the rear side shades, there are actually original factory accessories. You can order them using the following part numbers:

Left side:
Short wheelbase: B6 669 1189
Long wheelbase: B6 669 1191

Right side:
Short wheelbase: B6 669 1188
Long wheelbase: B6 669 1190

I have them on my car, they are great looking, fit perfectly and work wonderfully. The frame even comes with a couple of small star logos on it.
The should be about $150 for each. Ask an authorized dealer for them, they should be able to order them from the part numbers provided above.
greetings. are the rear side sunshades easily installed? can you do it yourself or need the dealer to install it? if can be done yourself, how long does the installation take? thanks so much in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts