Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm replacing both rear struts. One side went smoothly (procedure described in the Arnott video). On the other side I can't undo the nut on the spindle which holds the lower arm on which the strut rests (the one with a hex end pointing to the front of the car and 21 mm nut on the back of the car end). I've been soaking it with PB Blaster for days and hammering with 1200 ft lb 1/2 inch air impact wrench without any progress.

1) Has anyone else had a similar case and what is a best resolution? Will buying a 1700 ft lb 3/4 inch impact make a sufficient difference? I don't want to use a torch as there is a rubber bushing around the bolt which would deteriorate

2) Is there another way to remove the strut? Like removing the other end of the lower arm (the one close to the car center)? Or removing all the 3 attachment points at the top of the suspension around the disk brake and swiveling/lowering the wheel hub?

3) Any other ideas? Grinding the nut away?

thanks!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I tried a breaker bar, but unfortunately can't really fit much of the extension due to lack of space (no hoist, car is just on jack stands and the bolt is on the inner side of the hub)

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
100 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but are you turning it the right way?
I used Freeze off once with success, its a aerosol that lubes and freezes stuck bolts.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not stupid at all, actually it's quite possible to try to turn it in a wrong direction considering strange angles and positions of doing something under the car. (Not this time though :)

In summary - I have left the nut frozen and removed other bolts to get enough room to wiggle the strut out, thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyway, I have given up on that approach and discovered a much easier way to remove the struts, described here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts