Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing the rear passenger side strut on my 2000 s430. Seems like I read something about a special tool that is a must have for the process. Are there any special notes or things to watch out for while I replace the strut. I may try and replace both rear while I'm working on it. Do I need to go ahead and get the "Hella" relay? What all do I need.

Is there a tutorial, video, or step-by-step with instructions? Someone in another forum mentioned a bilstein video in there download section but I think they've redone their site. Home

I know this topic has been constantly discussed, but I love my car and just want to go into this project hoping for the best and pre[pared for the worst.

Right now I can't even get my Asanti wheels off because I lost the key.

First post on forum and I'd like to thank "Skylaw" and everyone for making this place an invaluable resource.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

Why are you replacing your rear air spring? They dont usually go wrong? Whats your mileage/km? Sometimes there can be other things wrong with the airmatic system and its not always the spring that is the problem. Have you considered the valve block?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't ruled anything out. My car has had the "Airmatic" error on the dash since I bought it this summer. The car has lots of miles ~195k. Surprisingly the front struts seem to be fine. The plastic protective cover around the front struts is intact while both rear struts have the plastic cover tore all to hell.

There very well be a problem with the valve block. Apart from spraying it with soapy water, what other ways could I check if its working like it should. BTW, I am yet to spray the valve block with soapy water but will have the results later today.

Many thanks Bear. Mercedes downtime is hard to handle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your car has alot of miles...it may be time to change the airmatic springs, airmatic pump, the valve block and relay to ensure you dont get stranded somewhere when you are out driving...but you might want to consider waiting until January 2011 because Arnotts Suspension is releasing a new steel spring conversion kit around that time. It might be a good idea to change over to new steel springs to ensure reliability and especially peace of mind. If u still want to retain the airmatic system, you can order arnotts modified airmatic springs which have been improved as they say. Visit their website if you haven't.

By the way, having an airmatic error on the dash doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the rear springs. It might come on also because your pump is weak or it might be a left warning over from the previous owner and his mechanic did not clear off the ''fault code'' after he/she replaced the front springs - It is likely that your car's front air springs have been changed by the last owner because the front air springs never seem to last that long.

Similarly, the fact that the plastic/rubber covers have come off the springs doesnt mean you need to change them just yet. You didnt say if your car cannot be driven now....is it riding low? (ie., Has the rear part of the car come down onto the tyres.) You'll need to let the forum know to help you.You will need to make proper checks before changing the springs. Removing and replacing the springs is the most drastic remedial action you can take and you need to isolate the problem carefully before making any decision. Changing the springs on your own is not something you should do unless you have received the right training etc.

In any event, I recommend that if the car can still be driven, you should take it for a qualified mechanic to check it out. Remember always that if the car is lifted off the ground by a jack/lift, the engine must be switched on before the tyres come back down to earth. This is to ensure the airmatic system is pressurised otherwise the weight of the car will damage the air springs. I'm sure you know about that. You can get more information searching around the forum.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
When the plastic cover is off means the pressure is off in that location. If the plastic covers are both off the back wheels, you may have a bad valve block line goes to the back. If only one wheel's plastic cover is off, you may have just one bad back struts. Your pump, relay or block is O.K. I will just replace that strut and you are good to go. Either that strut has a bad top seal or damaged plastic cover. You do not need to replace any other components if no warning error. There is no preventive measure in this system. Just fix whatever is bad, then it will be perfect. If you have slow leak in other places, your pump will be always on, even after you replace the bad strut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have 2000 s500 .rear suspension is down ,when i start the car it go up but after a 4-5 min go down again slowly,i cant hear any air leak (like i did on the front strud that i already replace).please help on how to carry a check,where is this air valve,how to reach the top of the strud,so i can cheack the hose?

·
Registered
2002 MERCEDES BENZ s500
7 Posts
My rear struts do the same thing, and when people are seating in back the red warning light comes on, i do have 20" rims and tires on too, i dont know if that makes a difference..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts