Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor sedan, 1995 C220, 1995 Corvette, 1991 500SL
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really weird but, has anyone else have this problem before.

On the passengers side stop/brake light, I thought the one filament in the dual filament was broken, since only the brake light would come on when depressed, and not the light when the lights are turned on. switched bulbs, etc, looked inside the housing everything is fine. What could it be?? all the wires seem fine.
helpppp

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any ideas? could it be wiring or something else?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is really puzzling have trased wires back and everything looks good.. has anyone jumped wires from the drivers side to the passenger side to get the light to work??

·
Registered
1994 SL500
137 Posts
Take the bulb out and check the socket contacts with a test light connected to a known good ground. Make sure that the bulb contacts are hot when they are supposed to be. If all is well move the test light ground to the ground wire on the socket. You may have a bad ground. Also check the contacts in the socket and make sure that they are making contact with the bulb. I have on many occasions seen sockets overheat from bad contact and collapse the spring or "melt" the contact into the socket. If it is a contact problem a quick repair is to take a soldering gun and put a drop of solder on the bulb to make the contact taller.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
my right/rear clearance light ( not running light), illuminates only when it wants to. I replaced the bulb...... & fiddled with it........

I am not rebuilding the socket quite yet...... The yellow dashlight warning is sure bright!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will check that out, with the tester for ground. its really weird since only the illuminated light when the lights are turned on does not work on the passenger side but in the same socket, the second filament for braking/stopping, works when peddle is depressed. so could it be other wiring further back inthe harness... which i hope not???

·
Registered
1994 SL500
137 Posts
It can be anything from source to ground. All you can do is to check it one step at a time. If it is the feed wire to the tail light, I believe that the harness comes down the drivers side so the passenger side light would feed across from the drivers side. As the tail lights have a common wire back if the drivers side tail light is working it would have to be somewhere between the tail lights, not to difficult to trace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts