Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
Thanks for the support i may have found a supplier in Germany if not then will have to be the states if needed
The springs i took out are red dont know what make but definitely lowered

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
If i put 8n the correct sls springs these only lower 1.2 as oppose to 1.4 at fron can I further lower with smaller rubber mount or will this disturb the sls rams

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,213 Posts
If i put 8n the correct sls springs these only lower 1.2 as oppose to 1.4 at fron can I further lower with smaller rubber mount or will this disturb the sls rams
People do adjust ride height with the different sized spring cups, yes.

Ian has mentioned this several posts when he was setting the ride height on his 420 I believe.

Another point he made was the fact that the car 'settles' over a short period of time so this will be another factor for ya..

Cheers,

M.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
Ok thats good to know I have a new pair of sls rams and dont want to damage them.
If Icant get the correct set up it maybe better to get rid of them so someone else can use them as they are now obsolete.
I rather keep the sls though
My red springs its difficult to check what make but they are 320mm in height for the rears thats shorter than the sls and non sls by about 10mm
When i removed the old did shocks they weren't leaking but the mounts what the bolts go through were slightly bent dont know what caused that

What are the rubber covers on the red springs above

·
4,213 Posts
That image is not of a 126 spring I am guessing, rather an Eibach 'stock photo' rather than the actual item.

I had difficulty locating Eibachs for our W126 earlier today.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
The top of my current springs the final coil is flat as it sits into the rubber seat any idea if this is how eibachs are

·
4,213 Posts
All 126 springs are flat. That is the only way the rubber cups can be used.

I apologize for the apparent confusion.

Please. The image was added only to shown you that Eibach springs are red colored, therefore must be similar to your set in your car car, nothing else.

In addition, from what little information I could glean earlier today, I do believe Eibach lowering springs for our W126 cars are NLA. So no need to worry.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
no problem i would use the currrent springs as the car sat well just how i wanted it but dont know if they are for sls as the rams mounting points were bent
just out of curiosity if the sls wasnt working would the car drop considerably if the weight was just on the springs or would non sls springs hold the car up

·
4,213 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question there. Sorry

I DO know that if the ride height is not properly set on my SLS SEC, it feels as if you have about four people in the back of an old worn out station wagon practically dragging the rear bumper on the ground when you take off from a stop!

I do embellish, but the reality is pretty consistent!

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,084 Posts
If there is no pressure in the SLS system the car will sit a little bit lower than it should.

·
4,213 Posts
im assuming it worked then as back end was quite firm just slightly high than the front
Having read between the lines, I infer your setup was working well/set up properly before disassembly.

In the nicest way possible: Please be quite specific with your descriptions going forward. This will help.

Thanks

M

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
I was referring to the origional springs which came out on disassembly ie the possible eibach springs I assume they were doing their job and allowing the sls to function.
I am reluctant to use those springs due to them being shorter than H&R springs and the ring diameter being larger. This possibly created a hi spring rating if so would it be possible the back end could be held up by just the springs

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's a schizophrenic thread! No problem, we'll figure it out :)

This post is updating my search for correct factory ride height rear springs for my 420SEL.

Bilstein did reply but told me that # 36-2260621 was a European number and wouldn't help me. Lesjofors didn't bother to reply.

Once the sway bars are ready and I do this job I'll update with my results.

I DO know that if the ride height is not properly set on my SLS SEC, it feels as if you have about four people in the back of an old worn out station wagon practically dragging the rear bumper on the ground when you take off from a stop!

I do embellish, but the reality is pretty consistent!
I LOL'd. I know exacty what you mean!

Pete

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
443 Posts
I was referring to the origional springs which came out on disassembly ie the possible eibach springs I assume they were doing their job and allowing the sls to function.
I am reluctant to use those springs due to them being shorter than H&R springs and the ring diameter being larger.
This thicker diameter possibly created a hi spring rating .
If this wad the case would it be possible the back end could be held up by just the springs alone without the sls being able to activate the sls shocks

21 - 36 of 36 Posts