Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we slowly get to 10 people in for thicker rear sway bars I figure I should do my homework on rear springs.

When I do the rear bar I'm going to change the rear springs and all 4 shocks. I'd like the rear to sit about level or maybe slightly, slightly, higher (it seems like it's sagging a little).

Reading threads here makes me nervous! Too high too low, different heights for the same MB part number.

When I cross reference the rear springs from a MB dealer site, part # 116-324-11-04, I get Bilstein 36-2260621 and Lesjofors 4256804. Any thoughts or comments?

And I need 1 ea Spring Insulator 115-325-23-44 per side? I see reference to different numbers of 'nubs' - insulator heights - should I buy a couple different ones in advance?

I'll pair them with Bilstein HD shocks.

Thanks

Pete

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,579 Posts
Not sure about the part numbers, I've never bought new ones just endless changing of used ones and trimming plus adjustments with the spring pads. Might be worth getting some of those pads to experiment with. (Yeah different nubs indicate the size/height.)

Did you use the MB points calculator to get the spring part number?

I'm afraid it'll most likely be a voyage of discovery. I've no idea how long it takes for new springs to settle in, either. At least 24hrs for the used ones after fitting, before you really know how it'll sit.

Have you got the spring compressor tool?

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
I have SLS and here in the uk we cannot get the kit from hr to lower a SLS car.
Been told to use the H&R 29559 kit which is for the non SLS
Spoke to H&R and they told me the non sls rear springs are 330mm and installed length 240mm

The non sls are 335mm and installed 230mm trying to workout if i can use the non sls kit in my sls w126

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
You get that 19mm rear, install & see how it is?

My 500SEC Euro [No SLS from new], I had H&Rs, Bilstein B8s F&R, and the DKUBUS 19mm rear bar done all at once. It was a dramatic transformation, saying the least.

The stock 560SEC feels really floaty by comparison. And yes all the F&R suspension is in good nick.
I do love the self-leveling too.

Were it me, I'd stay with self-leveling rams & the H&Rs.

M.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
i want to stay with hr and sls bt cant get the suspension kit form uk shipping from usa gets very expensive
i can get the 29559 kit which is non sls but dont know if this will cause a problem with the sls rams or premature damage/wear
what do you think

·
4,219 Posts
"i can get the 29559 kit which is non sls but dont know if this will cause a problem with the sls rams or premature damage/wear"

Use the H&R recommended 52759 set. The others have a quite different spring rate and won't do the job.

Approx $275~$300 shipping costs appear staggering at first.. but would seem a real bargain should an SLS strut fail prematurely .. especially as these are apparently u n o b t a i n i u m NLA. To my mind, that last scenario would be considered probably avoidable and a most painful exercise.

Personally, I would not want that hanging over my head every time I turned the wheel.

Good luck man,

M

EDIT. I found another seller willing to priority ship to to the UK for roughly $76. details in later post #20

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian thanks. I do have a couple different types of spring compressors. I'm so bad at computers though, I can't figure out how to use the part index - I got the above part # from a MB dealer parts site. I'll get the 1 and 2 nub rings when it's finally time. What I don't use - into the parts box! :)

I don't really want to lower my 420SEL, though I can see why one would do it with a SEC. I am willing to go with a very slightly firmer rear spring if such a thing exists, perhaps. I will keep digging and report. I'm still 5 buyers off from getting a new sway bar though

Pete

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have sent this request to both Bilstein and Lesjofors for the part numbers I posted above:

Hello

I have a 1991 Mercedes 420SEL and am considering buying your # xxxxx rear springs.

What is the ride height (and tolerance) once they are installed?

Thank you.

-------------------

For the record, I have contacted Moog before on different cars for this same info and they did look it up for me. I'll post their answers.

Pete

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
I emailed H&r to ask if i could use the 29559 kit in an sls car and this is what they said but a member on here has used the kit on an sls car and he says it was fine

i asked
Is the rear HR sls spring shorter than the non sls HR spring as the description say sls springs lowers car by 1.25" and non sls by 1.4"
Is it possible you have the lengths and ratings of both HR sls and non sls springs I can then work out what to use as in the mercedes sec you can vary rubber shim sizes to lower and higher a ca

their reply
No, with 29559HA1 the rear will get way too low as the spring has different design forces (which I cannot give out due production secret). The free length is not the point but the design length at a certain force is the matter.
With 29559HA1 installed on the rear, the rear will get lower than the front and be too low.
Only 29537HA1 will help keep the rear in level.
Hi again,

the rear spring non SLS has a free length of 335 mm (installed length 230mm) while
the rear spring SLS has a free length of 330 mm (installed length 240 mm), same spring rate for both.

·
4,219 Posts
Well done with your careful research with them on this.

Having H&Rs on my Non-SLS SEC fitted with F&R Bilstein B8s vs my SLS equipped SEC with Bilstein B4 in the front, the driving experience is just 'night and day', which one might expect really.

I'd wanted the lowered stance to alter the looks of my SEC. I looked forward to increased roll stiffness in turns, improved handling. Combined with the 19mm rear sway bar these modifications paid off. I got the results anticipated.. with a trade-off in ride quality. The lowered car has a way more sporty feel down the road, meaning one feels small road irregularities in one's body, whereas the stock SLS car absorbs & insulates. The H&R car is more 'lively' and responsive. I like it!

There is one constant between the two, however. That is the fact that neither has 'bottomed out' while driving under all sorts of road conditions & differing passenger/luggage loads. A combined SEC experience of 17 years overall so far.

I am no engineer, but I would defer to the manufacturer on this one if my H&R equipped 500SEC is any metric. I think H&R got it right.

Good luck man.

M

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black/Black
133 Posts
Just a question regarding shipping from The USA. Would it be any cheaper if a private person shipped them to you as apposed to a company??

·
4,219 Posts
I found an Ebay seller for your 52759 SLS H&Rs willing to ship to the UK from the East Coast of the US for less than $100.

The ad I referenced yesterday was wanting to charge almost 3X that price for the shipping.

Fingers crossed here!

M.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
there was a member on here i think by name of trooper who used the non sls hr on his sls it was ddone accidentally but he says was fine, i did mail hi to see how the suspension ie rear sls rams were after a few years but no reply.

i still am trying to figure out what the information hr gave me is concluding it seems they are saying the non sls kit on a sls car will be lower i thought it would be the opposite way

i guessi really should but in 52557 rears but importing from usa is just expensive

maybe if someone coul send them over to me it would b cheaper but all depends on postage cost and then taxes when it gets here bt that again depends on what the item is valued at from the sender

im now at a process where my proect has stopped as a result of this as i literally have no lowering srings for my sls

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
also if rear lowers 1.2 and front 1.4 does this not cause the rear end to lift as i dont want that type of stance i want a lowered car same front and back
whats your thought on th non sls springs on an sls or do you know anyone who has done it and what thee results were

·
4,219 Posts
Here are some evolutionary photos for your consideration.

The first, at the golf course, the car is dead stock... 15" wheels and all.. 2 years before I got it.

The next shows the car with the 17" AMG rims and stock suspension.

The next, by the gas pump, is the same standard suspension, but with the REMUS exhaust in place.
[FYI: the car never had SLS from new.]

All subsequent shots show the lowered car non-SLS H&Rs & B8s, same wheels/tires.

To me, its look/stance seems to change with lighting, further modifications & accessories...

M

s-l1600-2.jpg IMG_1493.JPG 500SEC1991.jpg IMG_3986 2.JPG IMG_4736SECII.jpg

·
4,219 Posts
how much did you lower it by
the b8 shocks are shortened shocks yes
I used the H&R 29559 set.... Right out of the box and utilized my stock spring cup shims. [Again, my car has NO SLS from factory.]
I do not remember what nubs they are, but its all well documented in my previous posts here on BW.

M

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
444 Posts
ren1230 yes if i had someone private send them to me it would be cheaper postage and possible tax depending out what the item is valued at

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,579 Posts
Yep forum members in the US have sent me all sorts over the years, firms charge a LOT more. Ridiculously so in many cases. You still get stung for VAT by customs on the way in but it does depend on the stated value of the item.

·
4,219 Posts
I found an Ebay seller for your 52759 SLS H&Rs willing to ship to the UK from the East Coast of the US for less than $100.

The ad I referenced yesterday was wanting to charge almost 3X that price for the shipping.

Fingers crossed here!

M.
Having received a box of H&Rs last year, and considering the size/weight of the four boxed springs, a shipping charge of only $75.87 / £56.89 seemed quite reasonable coming straight to one's door from across the Atlantic. Most sellers I researched consider international shipping from here to Canada only.

My two cents...

M
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 6.08.17 AM.png

1 - 20 of 36 Posts