Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of youall installed rear speakers in a car intended for a 2 speaker setup?

i dont have a fader or rear speakers and well, it sucks. ive installed pioneer dual cone speakers in the front and they sound ok, but it just isnt the same with no rears!

before i go about ripping this old thing apart exploring, i just want to know if the back already has speaker holes in the stampings?

i know whenever i bought speakers for the neon it was a production to install them, but i think that related more to the removal of a coupes rear seat with the fronts seats still in place. not to mention that i have to get back in there AGAIN! never buy rockford fosgate speakers, they lasted 2 months. dont listen to salesmen, they sell what needs to be moved off the shelves=)

anyhoo, will it work or am i going to have to dissect the poor little car and cut bits and pieces to do it? id like it to be as unobtrusive on the body of the car as possible!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Have a look at this:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200790&start=1&fid=10

Don't dissect the car please[:0]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no no

not like that!

the car is classy, he deserves to not be at all ricey(krauty?)

the neon is for going fast around twisties and loud music, the Mercedes is for putting and jus sailing on the road!

i want to put factory sized speakers in

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would hazard a guess to say that the stampings provide for the installation of rear speakers. Most W123 cars I've seen have rear speakers, and I don't know why Mercedes would used a different stamping for the cars that don't. Plus, optional radios with rear speakers were available. Remove the rear seat and rear interior side panels, and look under the package shelf covering. I bet the holes are there, and only the package shelf covering is different. The holes do not go all the way through into the trunk, so you can't see them from there. You could find some speaker covers from a junked car if you want the original look. As for the lack of a fader switch, your aftermarket radio already has one.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have an aftermarket radio, just new speakers.

it has a standard becker europa am/fm radio. i dont want to change the radio because it looks so nice in there!

the metal bezel makes for extra good ipod reception when you sit the transmitter right on top of the ashtray, so i have no need for a newer head unit!

[:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I'm thinking your original Becker might be able to handle a fader switch, but there would be no place for it. I'm sure you'll find something creative. As an artist to an artist, inspiration will arrive soon. [:)]

Here's a good one. You might be able to find a 5-switch panel for your antenna/domelight/rear defrost switches from a wagon (300DT I think has those) with an extra slot for the custom fader, or something else extra. When I do decide to switch to Euros, I'll get that 5 switch wooden panel (mine has wood, yours I think has the black part only?) and install the headlight adjust on one of those empty slots. Currently, mine has 4 switches on it.

Yes, check out junkyard parts for the rear shelf -- if your car's rear shelf has no holes for rear speakers. While you're at it, might as well get the wires and speakers if you want. Some wiring will definitely be needed. I haven't touched my speaker system yet so I can't help you with it. Maybe others who have installed their own could lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i have a place on the console for the fader, its a small blank switch right in front of the big flasher switch/relay.

that isnt the problem, though. i just want to KNOW that there are places for speakers *before* i go ripping out my back seat, rear pillar trim and rear shelf trim!

the car has places for all the switches except for the power window switches and i know i dont want those, trouble trouble trouble. i dislike power windows!

so what size are the rear speakers?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am reviving this old thread because i decided that the car would just need to have the speakers screwed in and wired under the carpets...

i was wrong. really wrong.

there are absolutely no provisions for rear speakers to be mounted! just big rounded holes!

maybe i am dense, but i will go outside and snap some pictures to help youall understand what i am saying.

please please please, all of you who have installed rear speakers respond, i'd hate to have to put everything back together and still not have sound in the back! be back soon with pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oops...

it seems like i cant delete one of the pictures that i posted twice and i forgot the other one=)

ive done some more reading and it seems like i am missing some plastic "risers"? why does NOONE post anything like this? it seems like everyone that posts acts like they all came with 4 speakers!

at least i dont have an ugly useless fader and power windows to worry about, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so should i go to the pull it yourself car place and get these brackets?

are they easily removable?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
Well, mine did come with four speakers. I built some slanted oval donuts to mount new Pioneer 6x9's into (and took a knife to the rear deck to widen the holes). Still not enough bass, though. I really didn't want to go with the amp and subwoofer, but I will. I need to feel the bass, not just sort of "hear" it.

·
Registered
84 300 td,82 300td
93 Posts
in my wagon above and at the hatch are 4 inchers (not enough to balance with what i have in the front} so i put 2 kenwood 6by9 quads in some visonic speaker boxes i can move where i want and although its a pain in a bad part of town i can easily take them in with me.....just a thought[8D]

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,650 Posts
I've got some "Stock" rear speakers, XLNT cond, with baffels that come with them (cheap$$). I used the OEM speaker covers though. If you're interested let me know. Oh yea, that's the way the rear metal looks even if it comes with speakers. The cut outs are only to the carpeted piece.
[8D]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i took care of it, mbz.

i already had the speakers(5.25" pioneer dual cone) and with the 4" versions up front its pretty nice, the cd player matches the amberish (manual) climate control panel

it seems like wherever i hooked up the always on wire, that it doesnt work, where did youall hook up your station/eq memory wire?

i used the positive and negative lines from the ash tray light, but didnt unhook it. i just bared the wires and tucked them inside that little plug. i used the fat red original stereo power for always on(but i guess thats why my problem is the way it is, huh?

any tips yall? im almost done! i just hope it looks ok in the daytime. its one of those newfangled silverish colored ones, not plain black.

what ever happened to black electronics? why do they all have to be painted silver now?

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,691 Posts
iNeon - 8/25/2005 6:55 PM

i took care of it, mbz.

i already had the speakers(5.25" pioneer dual cone) and with the 4" versions up front its pretty nice, the cd player matches the amberish (manual) climate control panel

it seems like wherever i hooked up the always on wire, that it doesnt work, where did youall hook up your station/eq memory wire?

i used the positive and negative lines from the ash tray light, but didnt unhook it. i just bared the wires and tucked them inside that little plug. i used the fat red original stereo power for always on(but i guess thats why my problem is the way it is, huh?

any tips yall? im almost done! i just hope it looks ok in the daytime. its one of those newfangled silverish colored ones, not plain black.

what ever happened to black electronics? why do they all have to be painted silver now?

If you want any bass coming from the rear components,your going to have to bite the bullet.
By this I mean you will have to cut the pockets out
where they mount so that they fire into the trunk.
After you read this and done cursing me out for suggesting this,I'll give you more detailed info if it interest you or anyone else[:D]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no no, i shant compromise mr shlomo for m own pleasure!

since i decided not to sell him( the one person that looked thought 2500 was too much) ive promised my five year-old nephew the shlomo car.

it feels nice that the car inspires that much confidence!, whats 11 more years, ya know?

ill post the pictures after i finish detailing it out. school starts back on monday so i decided i better get my car work out of the way prior!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts