Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S320V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the "thumping" sound from the right rear shock. I know some people have fixed this by tightening the upper shock mounting nut. I believe this nut is accessed through the trunk, but today I went searching and couldn't figure out how to get at it. In the trunk, do you need to remove the upper trim piece/carpet that surrounds the speakers? I can't see the shock top by pulling the side carpeting out of the way.

While I have you, is 80,000 miles common for rear shocks to be worn out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
You have opened one of many Pandora's Boxes on this car Petrulio. Let the questions begin. Do you have the automatic leveling feature? Do you have the ADS option?

Alldatadiy.com states to remove "trunk area trim". Not very specific.

·
Registered
1996 S320V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No self-leveling nor do I have ADS, just the plane-jane conventional suspension. It just seemed from what I saw that by accessing through the trunk, I would not be getting high enough in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Yes, the top of the shock mount is accessible from the trunk.

See my post "Getting to know your closing assist pump" in the "knowledge base" thread at the top of the forum. There are a couple pics of the pump location with all the trunk liners removed in which the upper shock mount is visible.

Brett

·
Registered
1996 S320V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shock mount is inboard of where I expected and was looking. thanks for the picture and your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts