Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ml430
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . I need a little advice to replace rear shock absorbers . I already did front- that was easy . I am going to use OEM Sachs-Boge from AutohausAZ
My car has 126000 miles and it is a time....
My question is do I have to replace springs too (I don't have any problems with them) or just new shocks absorbers will work fine with old springs?
Do I need any extra parts to order or OEM Sachs-Boge from AutohausAZ comes with all nesesary parts ?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
You do understand that you have to remove the entire assembly yourself and then bring them to a repair shop that has a strut spring compressor to remove and install the shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ml430
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply 43sqd . Yes I know about rear suspensions problems . I did check old posts ... . I am not going to do it by myself .It is a little to much for me to handle . I dont have right tools and place to do it . Front I did by myself just because it was quite easy .
I was just wondering since my springs looks still ok just to change shock absorbers .
I dont know if I need to order some extra things (like mounting kit etc.) or this shocks comming ready to replace?
thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Thanks for reply 43sqd . Yes I know about rear suspensions problems . I did check old posts ... . I am not going to do it by myself .It is a little to much for me to handle . I dont have right tools and place to do it . Front I did by myself just because it was quite easy .
I was just wondering since my springs looks still ok just to change shock absorbers .
I dont know if I need to order some extra things (like mounting kit etc.) or this shocks comming ready to replace?
thanks
Are you sure you need rear shocks? There have been so many that have replaced them and either they did not like the ride or noticed no discernible difference. And since you are not doing any part of the work, if I were you I would reconsider.

·
Registered
2000 ml430
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for respond .
I changed the front last week and I can feel big difference .Driving is way more comfortable . Since my car has 126000 I was thinking it will be right time to do it .
your post make me think if I really need it .
Orginal shock absorber life is around 1200000 .
Would you do it with your car? My point is if I did it with the front natural way should be to do rear also . My car is quite old(2000) and previous owner had biger rims with shorter shocks absorber life. I live in Illinois and streets are not really good here also .

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
re

I would change the coils too. Broken coil are not new to MB and if you are to remove the shock absorber, 95% of job will be done...

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
I would change the coils too. Broken coil are not new to MB and if you are to remove the shock absorber, 95% of job will be done...
You cannot buy the coils separately aftermarket. M/B only sells the entire assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts