Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SEL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wondering if anyone can inform me on how to remove the rear seats out of my 300SEL. I've searched the forum but not entirely sure if the seats are the same as mine that recline.

Im doing this so that I can run my amp wires from the battery, to the boot. If there is an easier way without having wires showing, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
91 Posts
Hm... if it's the same as mine, there should be just two screws (at the very bottom of the seats, you have to bend down and get your head by the footrests - one below each seat) that you unscrew. The seats then just simply have to be pulled towards the front while lifting up at the same time. The whole rear bench comes out.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Welcome to BenzWorld and the 126 page.

If you have a look up in the Service Manual Index sticky, some of the sections actually take you to pages which others have described or posted the instructions for what you are after (the electric rear seat recline happens to be one of those posted).

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Rear seat removal depends on what you have - reclining bench or not. Seat bottom is bolted to the floor with one bolt on each side, slides forward and out. Unplug seat heater wiring if there. Rear seat back depends - if reclining, its bolted to the tracks, if not, bolted to the body. Remove all the bolts, slide UP, then out. Don't break any tabs. Unplug seat heater wiring if so equipped.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
79 Posts
I've got a non-reclining bench in my 420SEL, and the seat bottom is held by a spring latch on each side which hook into posts beneath on the body. Seat back has 3 8mm screws into tabs on the bottom and needs to be lifted off a lip at the top for removal. It was a real headache and I had no luck finding a pic of that particular set-up.

·
Registered
1986 300 SDL
112 Posts
Ditto on my 86 300sdl rear non recliner. Take the bottom first by pulling on the spring levers located along were the seat meets the carpet just 1/2 way around the corner (side to front) on each side, and lifting the seat up and out. Start one side then the other...then remove the seat. Back panel is as described.

·
Registered
1989 300SEL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm... if it's the same as mine, there should be just two screws (at the very bottom of the seats, you have to bend down and get your head by the footrests - one below each seat) that you unscrew. The seats then just simply have to be pulled towards the front while lifting up at the same time. The whole rear bench comes out.
Yeah had a look and it seemed easier than expected. Two screws by the footrests enabled the bottom seat to be lifted out.

Luckily enough there were no springs holding the backseat. Two more screws bolted to the tracks allowed the backseat to be lifted up, off the three tabs.

Just curious.. Where would you guys attach your ground wire too, for an amplifier located in the left rear of the boot?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts