Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear seat job question

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  PanzerPuff 
#1 ·
So having now decided to keep my 560SL as my young daughter wont let me sell it, I need to do a rear seat conversion (for her to sit in the back). Someone very kindly has given me the seat base and back, which is in a different colour to mine! So question is the the knowledgable members of the forum....is there a company that can make up to order a vinyl spray coat can in a Mercedes interior code? I have tried the duplicote burgundy which covers well but is just too bright and red for my 277 middle red interior.

Also, the chrome pin on the top of the rear seat back - can someone post a pic of what that is supposed to lock into?

And is there any special advice for the seatbelt fittings. or a specific model number/make I should use? I dont have any seatbelts at present and will obvioulsy be buying new set.

Thanks again for a brilliant and supportive forum.

#3 ·
I first thought that your daughter must be of driving age, but if that's her in the mini SL, she's got a few years to go (and sure is cute). The years go quickly; mine just had her own first, a daughter, less than two weeks ago.

Sorry that I don't have actual answers to your questions; my '86 560SL is still new to me.

#4 ·
Check out this company. I've heard really good things about them. Select the color by going to the color chart and first select the year/material of your car.

I have a daughter as well with hopes of passing down my SLC to her. She loves the car today.

#7 ·
I think you need to remove the side panels to gain access to the mounting bolts for the outer portions of the seat belts. They thread through cutouts in the sides panels that are below the parcel shelf level. So if you ever go back to a parcel shelf, you won’t see the seat belt holes. OEM setups include plastic grommets to keep the holes in the side panels neat. Even correct OEM belts are difficult to position to lay flat.

The button on the top is for a Pentax snap clip that it only for the floor strap to hold the seat in the down position, pretty unnecessary. The same button is used in JJProducts folding seats with a second strap that is mounted to the wall between the back seat and the soft top well. But OEM setups have spring clips riveted to the same wall to hold the seat back up (not using a strap to hold them up like JJProducts, only a strap to hold them down/folded).

My kids at 8, 11 and 12 will get back there and enjoy a convertible ride, but really all prefer the opportunity to ride in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Lap belts only.

Just get a Pentax button and a strap to hang into the soft top well Oit to hold the seat up,and you will be good. Anything else is too much work and permanent modification of the car. Just enjoy the back seat in its incorrect color. Your kids won’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.